Chapter 9: Meet and Greet

9. Meet and Greet

I eyed the dress that Natasha was holding up. It was red, my colour, and fell to the floor. It looked like silk, and the skirt fell in layers. Sleeveless, with a heart shape neck, I despised it.

"Don't pull that face. It's a perfectly good dress," Natasha remarked, looking at it admiringly.

"A perfectly disgusting dress," I muttered under my breath, and she sighed.

"Why can't I wear an Asgardian dress?" I whined. I could have materialised into one in second. Morphing into human clothes was much harder, though - annoyingly - my father could do it with ease.

"Because you're going to a human ball, so you need to look like a human," Natasha said bluntly, laying the dress carefully on the bed beside me.

"I am not wearing that," I said firmly, crossing my arms with a fierce expression on my face.

Half an hour later, Natasha walked out of the room wearing a triumphant grin on her face with me trailing behind her, grumbling in my new dress. My hair was curled, and bounced with each step I took in my awkward high heels. I had managed to stop her slathering on foundation over my already-clear face, but she had insisted on thick mascara and eyeliner that made me blink twice as much as was normal, and I scowled as we walked.

"I'm going to kill you for this," I told her seriously, but she just laughed at me.

She escorted me outside and across the hanger to a waiting helicopter. I hopped into the back, and sat beside Peter, who was dressed in a black suit. His eyes widened slightly when he saw me, but he said nothing and simply smiled wickedly.

"What are you smirking at?" I said hotly.

"You look like you hate dressing up just as much as I do," He chuckled, and my annoyance melted as I laughed.

The helicopter took off, and it took a long hour flight to reach our destination. When we got there, my head was resting on Peter's shoulder, and I was fast asleep. He gently shook me awake, and we got out.

My heels sunk into wet grass, and my irritation flared. The sun had set, and a full moon was making its way across the sky. The mansion was just ahead, through a thin line of trees.

We watched the helicopter leave before beginning to amble toward the house.

"Have you got your watch?" I asked Peter as we approached.

Stark, again proving that he was indeed a genius, had made two communication gadgets for us. One looked like a watch - for Peter - and the other a golden bracelet - for me. On the watch, when a certain button on the edge of the face was pressed, it would make the blue gem in the bracelet light up, indicating that Peter had either found out something or needed assistance. If I needed Peter, or found some new information on the book, I simply had to press the ruby on the bracelet and his watch's face would light up. It was a good idea, though I didn't tell Tony that.

With a smile of relief, I stepped onto the stone driveway. My heels were muddy, but I shrugged it off. I wasn't here to impress people.

We walked up to the grand doors with old-fashioned lamps on either side. My nose wrinkled slightly as I took in the stream of guests entering. They were all well-dressed, and had a look on their faces that clearly said "I'm better than all of you, and I know it." It repulsed me to be in the company of such ... ignorant mortals.

One man in a smart black suit stood by the door with a clipboard in his hands, checking names of the guests. When we stood in front of him, he looked us up and down suspiciously, his eyes lingering on our muddy shoes.