Chapter 44 - Cheesecake

Jo wakes up the next morning and slightly opens her eyes, wondering why the sun is so bright already. She sits up quickly and realizes she overslept. "Shit! Now I am the one abandoning the cafe." But her alarm didn't go off and where is Dart? She turns on her side and sees a croissant and a glass of orange juice with a note stuck to it. She smiles as she reads the note. 

Gorgeous fighter, I told Jake you would show up when you felt like it.
I felt like telling him more, but I know you're strong enough to handle it yourself.
I am surfing and teaching, come see me.
Let that big brother of yours stew a bit.
Love you!
XO 

Jo kisses the note and eats her croissant. She drinks her juice, while she looks in her closet. She takes a quick shower first and then goes for wild, loose hair and a comfy summer dress. She puts on some light make-up, sneakers and a happy smile. She walks out humming and heads straight for the beach. When she reaches it, she takes off her shoes and wiggles her toes in the sand. She hears someone call her from behind and turns around. 

Dylan walks up to her with a happy expression on his face. "Good morning pretty lady." 

Jo hugs him and says: "Good morning Dylan." 

Dylan winks at her and says: "I'm off to see if Dart can teach me how to surf. Always wanted to, but figured I couldn't do it with this huge body. But according to Dart, it shouldn't make a difference." 

Jo smiles at him and says: "I believe him. Anyone can learn how to surf. I'm sure you'll be fine." Jo stops at a coffee cart and says to Dylan: "Go on ahead. I'll be right there, I need coffee first." Dylan waves at her and walks on.

Jo enjoys her coffee and talks to the guy behind the cart. "Are you the girl in the campaigns with Dart?" 

Jo smiles at him and nods. "Yep, that's me." 

"I thought so. I was worried it might be weird to ask, but went for it anyway." 

Jo says: "Your cappuccino is very good by the way. You'll see me more often from now on." 

He says: "Would it be okay if I took a selfie with you?" 

Jo says: "Of course! I'll happily tell everyone to get their coffee here." The guys smiles so wide that Jo can't help but smile too. He thanks her a couple of times and she walks off with a wave. She comes closer to the shore and sees Shaun surfing with some of the guys she has seen in the cafe. She looks to the right and sees a couple of surfboards laying on the sand. People are laying down on it and Dart is teaching them the basics. 

Jo sits down in the sand, a couple of steps away from them and watches Dart with a soft smile. There are two young girls in the group and three guys, one of them being Dylan. One of the girls is practically drooling over Dart and Jo chuckles. 

Someone sits down next to her and says: "You don't seem to be phased by that at all." Jo looks at the muscular, tanned woman sitting next to her. The woman smiles at her and says: "I'm Noa, I own the surf school and the surf gear rental shop." 

Jo shakes her hand and says: "I'm Jo. And I'm starting to get better at it. The not being phased by it, I mean." 

Noa nods and says: "That's good. Because I have to admit hiring him had a lot to do with his looks. I was failing to get girls to join." 

Jo nods and says: "Yeah, I get that. Especially young girls need a different kind of motivation."

 Noa looks at her amazed and says: "Wow. I expected you to be totally different." 

Jo tilts her head and asks: "Different how?" 

Noa stays silent for a second and says: "When I heard he was engaged, I expected the woman to be... Well, a bimbo to be honest. And then when I saw the campaigns you did together and someone told me you were the one he was engaged to, I was a bit surprised. He talks about you all the time though, so it's obvious how much love is there. But I didn't expect you to be this strong and confident. I expected you to be jealous or something..."