6: Retreat

6: Retreat
Date Written: September 28, 2019

[][][][][]

While Vanish was busy dealing with the leader of the Excelcis, the situation of the players was turning for the worse.

A strange scene was occuring at almost every part of the battlefield. Every player that died didn't stay as a corpse. They also didn't disappear as fragments of light just like back when this world was still a game. Instead, they became multicolored dust that either fell to the ground or scattered into the wind.

At the same time, blue energies similar to the attacks of the enemies would be left at where the players died. If one looked closely, they had faces on them that were similar to those who had just died. They would then fly away and be absorbed by the huge crystal ball of the machine that the Excelcis brought with them.

The players were now in despair. Their attacks barely did anything to the enemies yet their defenses were as thin as paper. Their will to fight were now slowly leaving their bodies. How were they supposed to fight an enemy such as this?

Kian knew that he couldn't stay silent anymore. He raised his pistol and created a phantom bullet coated in concentrated psyche energy and fired it to an Excelcis who was busy massacring players.

The bullet was ignored since the Excelcis thought it was just another attack. Before he knew it, his life left him and his body exploded into fragments of multicolored lights. The crystals of the dead Excelcis flew to Kian and merged with his tri-colored crystals.

The scene was a shocker to the people involved in the battle. Both the Excelcis and the players who had seen the what happened were wide eyed. Their gazes fell upon the young man who had black hair who just fired the bullet.

Kian didn't stop his attacks after that. This time, the Excelcises were already on their guards though.

After seeing that the guy was able to kill one of their own and even had a set of eye crystals that was different from them, they decided to kill him first to get rid of future troubles.

His friends knew what they were supposed to do. They defended against the attacks while Kian and Keiko attacked. Together, they were able to kill more Excelcis and their psyche energy were slowly getting stronger.

However, another group of Excelcis appeared from the gates. They actually still have reinforcements!

Kian's expression changed. With more of them, how were they supposed to win his fight? He glanced around and saw that more players were dying.

The crystal ball which was empty after it first appeared now had a thin blue fog swirling around. They were the collected psyche energies from the dead players.

Since he couldn't think of other solutions, he flew to where Vanish and the leader of the Excelcis fought.

"Vanish, give the order to retreat! Look around you!" He shouted to Vanish who was busy fending off the attacks of the enemy.

Vanish was shocked at Kian's shout and was not able to defend himself from a slash. A splitting headache attacked his head causing him to lose concentration. He quickly backed away a few dozen meters and then sent a glare to Kian.

Seeing that Kian had crystals on his forehead too, he gave him a hostile glance. After that, he gazed below to see the predicament the players were facing. Even the guild leaders of the top guilds held no chance against the enemies.

"Tsk!" Vanish clicked his tongue and glared at the two before he shouted to the players below. "Retreat! Leave the city at once!" After that, he started backing away.

"I'll get back at you two!" He screamed from the distance.

The players formed teams as they were lead away by the guild members of the top guilds away from the battlefield. The Excelcises tried to chase them but while the players' attacks dealt no damage to them, they could still prevent them from moving a step further.

Kian cast a wary glance at the leader of the Excelcis who looked confused as he examined him. Since this Excelcis might try to kill him, he quickly backed away and ran to the horizon. His friends followed the direction where he came from and fled to who knows where.

Soon, barely anyone was left inside the city which was once lively and full of life. Marks of destruction was evident in the place and the place seemed to be filled with the screams of the people who had just died.

[][][][][]

Quite a short chapter...