4. work out

https://www.pinterest.co.kr/pin/642818546783558209/

"One more lap," Shiro urged Keith on, keeping up a steady clip. Keith was about ready to punch that infuriating smile right off Shiro's mouth- how was it fair that Shiro looked so good when he was running (and he even liked it) and Keith looked like he could pass out at any moment? Keith let loose a string of expletives but nodded and pushed his jelly-like legs forward around the track.

"So, who's this Lance guy?" Shiro asked nonchalantly.

Keith cringed. He should have known that Hunk would tell Shiro about Lance before he could. It wasn't Hunk's fault, he just knew that Shiro was going to pester him with questions and, honesty, talking and running weren't a good mix for Keith's aching lungs.

"No one."

Shiro sighed and punched Keith lightly on the shoulder, which nearly made him fall over in his weak state.

"Shiro, you've wounded me," Keith deadpanned, and Shiro laughed.

"Well, you're withholding important information."

Keith and Shiro didn't usually work out in the afternoon. Shiro didn't like how the sun was still high enough in the sky to bring a fair amount of heat and Keith just didn't like it in general. Normally, they'd meet at the local YMCA at 6 in the morning, run a few miles together, stretch, and then split up. Shiro would swim laps for an hour and Keith would go up to the gym to do weights. His biceps were still pretty stringy, but ever since Shiro had started forcing him to go to the gym four or five days a week, he slept better and felt better and... whatever. Keith would never admit it to his friend though- he hated it when Shiro was right.

The afternoon wasn't too hot, thankfully, which was why Shiro had called on Keith for the workout session. Keith supposed that Shiro was probably the only person he would ever run with. He was embarrassed as it was running in public, but Shiro's rippling abs and back muscles made him feel better, knowing that if anyone looked at them, they were looking at Shiro. Unfortunately for the college girls that giggled when Shiro walked by, the man was completely oblivious to any sort of flirtation.

Takashi Shirogane was a 23-year-old med student who Keith had met in high school. Back then, Keith had been some sort of friendless loser, but Shiro had taken interest in him and had pestered him daily. Eventually, the older boy drew Keith out of his shell and, well, the rest was history. They had been best friends since and, when Shiro moved to the coast to study, Keith went with him. It was convenient that the medical school Shiro attended was only 20 minutes from the Arboretum and Keith's college, so they were able to see each other often. During the school year, it was a little more difficult because they were almost always either working or in classes, but they always made time for each other.

Keith knew he owed Shiro a lot. He had been in a really bad place when Shiro had met him and he'd come a long way since, probably a lot of that development spouting from Shiro's positive attitude and constant encouragement. Keith wasn't a mushy or emotional person, far from it actually, but he made sure Shiro knew how grateful he was for their friendship.

Aside from Shiro, Hunk, and Pidge, Keith didn't have many friends. There were people at school he knew he could talk to and kids who said hey to him if they passed on campus, but Keith was okay with being a sort-of loner. He had always been more introverted anyway, and he knew that the friends he had were drama-free and loyal until the end. That was all he needed.

The track outside the Y was a quarter-mile long and Keith always looked forward to the last lap of the workout. He glanced over at Shiro, who was practically frolicking (how the fuck...?) and grimaced. Keith needed to change the subject. He inhaled deeply, braced his muscles, and then shouted "RACE YOU!" at the top of his lungs before sprinting out ahead of his friend. Shiro let out a very undignified yelp and hurried to catch up. Keith knew he was going to lose (Shiro was a marathoner- he could beat Keith easily), but he tried his best anyways, pumping his arms and legs as fast as he could as they passed the end line of the track. Shiro passed him easily, laughing happily as Keith groaned, slowing to a walk and catching his breath before flopping down into the grass on the side of the track.