AESTHETIC ALLEY [MINI-CONTEST]

But what does your book "look" like?

Maybe you need to set the scene, or visualize a world that is nothing like our own. As writers, we spend a lot of time with words. Sometimes we need to turn to other means to really get those creative juices going.

Aesthetics are a tool often used by writers to help us visualize our books. Take those words we are putting down onto paper and bring them to life. From characters to setting, or just a general emotion or theme, aesthetics use images to convey aspects of our book in a way that is off the page. It forces us as writers to look at our book in a different way.

As a matter of fact, when conceptualizing a book, aesthetics can be very helpful.

But, wait, what is an aesthetic, exactly?

An aesthetic is a photo collage containing different images that are meant to visually convey a novel. They are often called mood boards and generally focus on one aspect of your book or a character.

Here is an example of an Character Aesthetic 

RULES

For this contest we are asking you to make an aesthetic for your opening scene. Use images to convey what is happening, one way or another. Whether you literally set the scene, or portray your MC's internal conflict, it is up to you!

Only one aesthetic per user.

Entries open this Wednesday, September 25th and will be open until next Thursday, October 3rd at 11:59PM EST.

Please upload your image to the provided google form (you should be able to access this link via  a linked in comment or by copying and pasting):

https://forms.gle/TyTBDyaJB7DUe2YUA

There will be only three winners for this contest.

HOW

For those who have not made an aesthetic before, why not give it a try! We recommend the site Canva. It is free, easy to use, and it comes with grid templates. For images, Pinterest's features work the best!

PRIZES

Now, what is in this for you?

For the three winners selected by the Wattpairs Mentors, we will critique your first 500 words, giving you some last minute feedback to improve your chances of getting selected when the submission window opens.

Also, we will add the winners into the Wattpairs book, showcasing your aesthetic and story.

Sounds good?

Show us your opening scenes!