Chapter 28

Shawna arrived shortly after Maeve finished her coffee and was starting to get the longer, slow cooking food on. Blowing through the door like a strong breeze, she threw her bags under the entry table.

"You know, it's customary to ring the doorbell before throwing open the door right," she heard hollered down the hall.

"It's more dramatic this way, besides, I didn't want to lose my momentum. Give me a hand with these," she said struggling with the grocery bags she brought in with her. "Tom still coming late today?"

"Yes, he checked in already." Shawna noticed the smile across her face. "Could you put the bottles in the other room? I've got buckets of ice for them so they can chill out of the way. The red stays warm."

"Got it, Babes." She took the bottles and checked to make sure Mae was busy before sending a quick text out. She's wearing the smile you gave her. Better not be too late, buddy.

****

"Oh my god, it smells so good in here. Please tell me you have a sister?" Chris said as she let him in the door.

"Sorry, Evans, both spoken for. If you wait a few months, I'm sure the crazy one will be free by then."

"Nope, I don't do crazy. I'll just have to visit you a lot, then."

"Sure," she laughed. "Just let me know ahead of time so I can cook enough."

"Deal!" He put his jacket on a hook and headed towards the sitting room she directed him to. He found her friend, Shawna, and a few others there. The woman intrigued him, she was so different from Maeve, but it made their friendship that much deeper instead of hurting it.

Almost everyone was here. They had decided to wait for Tom and Ben had said they would be a little late, too. She stuck a note on the door and went to check the dishes in the oven. No burned food allowed. Once satisfied, she was getting things together to set the tables when she heard a small voice.

"Aunt Mae!" turning, she caught the small human who had launched himself at her. She caught him and threw him into the air, making him giggle with glee. "Where's the other kids at?"

"What's my house rule?" She responded with a smile.

"Sorry. Thank you for having me over. May I go play with the other kids?"

"Yes, little gentleman, you may. I expect the toys off the floor for dinner, Spider-man."

"Yes, ma'am," he ran off. "Thank you!" he yelled at the door.

She laughed to herself, looking at her feet as she moved back to the kitchen for the rest.

"Babes, that was like Fitzgerald out there." Shawna leaned on the doorway.

"What are you talking about?" She was busy stacking plates and flatware and paused for a moment, "Did something happen in the sitting room?"

"Oh yes, how does it go...He saw her before he saw anything else in the room. I can't believe I got to see that firsthand." Maeve passed her with full hands.

"Shawna, seriously, what are you talking about?"

"Tom walked in at the same time you threw the kid in the air. I swear if you had looked up your souls would have caught fire. It was so intense." She watched her friend nearly drop a fork as she turned excitedly.