Chapter Twelve

Chapter Twelve

“Our contestants will face even tougher challenges in the arena they are about to enter into.” Sephy could hear Eragon's voice all around her as she entered the entering station. This time she had a bag over her shoulders, equipped with weapons along with food and a small sleeping bag. She was also accompied by the other contestants, their mutters of the previous night's events filled the air around her until they heard Eragon's voice. The air was then filled with quiet whispers of temporary loyalties.

“They've bought what they can with their money,” Eragon continued. Sephy had bought a cross bow with arrows that are flammable. She also bought rope and a sharpened knife. To add to her small collection, she had bought a handful of partially posionous herbs; they wouldn't kill anybody, but would make them sick. At her belt, she had a sword in a sheath.

“Tonight, they enter into darkness. Whoever makes it to the end of the lengthly journey ahead of them before first sun strikes the ground the morning after this, will be making it out alive.” Sephy's eyes closed as she took a deep breath.

“You ready for this?” Gage appeared at her side, Alec on his. She didn't open her eyes for a moment.

“Is there a second option?” She asked him.

“You could always quit.” Gage whispered to her. She looked up at him in the darkness. “Eragon will give you a path out.” Gage said to her as if he thought she would actually take it.

“I'm winning this....I have to. It will make everything right...” Sephy trailed off, her eyes blurring a little, without blinking.

“They will all be entering arena number two together!” Eragon told the crowds. Sephy noticed how Gage was un-armed. She looked him up and down.

“Is that your way of showing off?” She asked him. He looked down on himself and then at Sephy.

“No, I just couldn't afford any of the stuff they were selling. Besides, there will be something out there.” Sephy shook her head and began untieing the sheath from around her waist. She was now wearing full length trousers and a t-shirt with a jacket around her shoulders. She had a feeling that this arena wouldn't be as warm as the last.

She handed the sword to Gage but he didn't go to take it.

“Take it.” She ordered. “I want to know that whoever has my back will have a weapon.” Gage took the sheath and sword from Sephy and tied it around his waist.

“Does that mean that we are on the same side again?” Sephy thought about it for a second and then nodded.

“Yes, we are.” Gage tilted his head to the side and smiled down at Sephy. She wondered what was running through his mind as he smiled down at her. “Eragon knows I had something to do with the office.” She told him, breaking the silence. Gage straightened up and narrowed his eyes.

“Proof?” Sephy shook her head in response.

“None yet.”

“He'll be furious after this round.” Gage noted.

“Why so?” Sephy asked him.

“Well he doesn't want us to be seen together....he won't be happy when I don't let you out of my sight.” She wasn't sure if she should feel offended that Gage thought she needed him, or else pleased. While she wondered, she heard Eragon's voice again.

“Let's wish our contestants luck!” The crowds and stands went wild. It was a live show, Sephy knew. Well, the crowds would be behind them five minutes so that Eragon's team could edit out things they didn't want to show on live tv. Sephy knew there are usually typically more than one live show per Tournament; they were always a crowd favourite.