chapter thirty six ... the truth comes out

Arcane (adj

Arcane (adj.)
secret, mysterious, understood only by few.
———

"Here comes the beep, you know what to do," Cooper's voicemail greeted me after only two rings. Hanging up my phone, I threw it at the couch and collapsed onto the chair.

"He still not answering?" Kingsley asked as she came strolling down the hallway in her robe with her hair wrapped up in her bath towel.

Shaking my head no, I sighed loudly. "I just don't understand what got him so upset. I said I wouldn't talk to Jonathan anymore but what the hell warrants that kind of anger from him?"

"I have no idea honey," Kingsley said sadly. "Have you tired asking Benji?"

"I did, yes," I informed her as I pushed myself up out of the chair. "He said he didn't know why he reacted that way."

Kingsley huffed as she crossed her arms, a look of concentration on her face. Strolling past her into the kitchen, I grabbed a bottle of water before heading to the front door to grab my shoes and the keys.

"Where you going?"

"I'm going to Benji's to see if Cooper is just hiding from me."

———

I stood outside the door and waited for someone to answer. Fidgeting with my hands, I finally heard footsteps approaching. Swallowing the lump in my throat, I hid my frustration as Benjamin opened the door.

"Sorry, Elli," Benjamin apologized as he looked at me sadly. "Cooper hasn't been here since the party and before you ask, no I haven't heard from him either."

Not bothering to stick around and sulk, I turned on my heel and stormed down the stairs. I ignored Benjamin as he called after me and pushed through the door into the warm afternoon air. Deciding to take a walk, I made my way down the street till I made it downtown.

Finding my favorite coffee shop I decided to go in and grab some coffee and ended up sitting outside on the patio. I don't know how long I sat there for when I saw the chair next to me get pulled out and a familiar mess of blonde hair and fake boobs sat down next to me.

"Elliott, can we talk?" Laura asked, sheepishly. Giving her the side eye as I sipped my coffee, she sighed and rested her elbows on the table. "I want to apologize for everything but I also think there's something you should know."

"Laura, I really don't have the energy for this," I told her flatly as I continued to stare straight ahead.

"I know you can't stand me but after seeing what happened at the party, I think you have a right to know why Cooper reacted the way he did."