Chapter 8

Her bruised feet that wore silver anklets embellished with many tiny bells, started moving as she slowly got up, trying to maintain her balance

I didn't know whether I should assist her, greatly worried about the possibility of her taking offence to my unpermitted touch. Therefore, I just chose to calmly stand there, somehow trying to demonstrate that I didn't mean any harm through my expressions.

I hoped she'd understood that it was all an unforeseen accident, that I didn't mean to lose control of the reins. And I really hoped, that even if she did feel anger towards me, she wouldn't take it as far as bringing it to the kingdom to pose a complaint against me. I would be completely shamed and I don't even want to imagine what Aaliyah would say-

"I'm fine."

I didn't realise I was looking at the ground, stupidly dissolved in my concerns to pay attention to the exact moment she spoke.

She smiled again, every trace of the crinkles the movement of her eyes and lips created on her face looking absolutely note-worthy.

"You don't need to look so distressed. It's just a little bit of blood and a mark, that's not going to take much time to leave." I couldn't figure out whether she was actually speaking in a slow rhythm, or if it was just her voice that spoke in melody.

It was interfering with my ability to think. I could almost guarantee this wasn't a product of temporary lust towards a beautiful face.

"Are you sure? The bruise on your feet doesn't look like it could heal by itself, the damage was caused by a horse after all. I can take you to the healer's quarters back at the palace-"

"Prince Elijah." A whisper. A caress that never ceased to exist. But it was said.

That was it for me. That was enough to cause the termination of my thoughts and words.

"I'm truly fine. I assure you, I can take care of myself. To be honest, it was my fault. I shouldn't have travelled in such a hurry, I should have left for the palace earlier,"

"The palace?" I questioned, still in a befuddled daze.

"Yes, I was actually called to be present for an investigation at the Hall of Thrones? I do apologise, I didn't realise the time was here." Her eyes slowly caved in, a sign of her guilt that I was mercilessly thankful for.

"That isn't a forgivable excuse, is it now? Royal matters, that especially involve the citizens, should make you aware of its significance,"

She sighed, as if she refused to spend her energy on an argument that didn't guarantee her winning.

Then, she stepped towards my horse, ruffling its mane with her fingers delicately.

"Go on, tell your majesty to pardon me this one time. Tell him that I can make it up to him. If your feet can do some damage, I'm sure you can change his mind as well." A disapproving giggle left her mouth, as she flicked his head playfully, her nose coming to rest on his face.