Chapter 4, Part 1: Penny's POV

Penny's POV:

The time had finally come for me to tutor Micah Drewbury. I was still exhausted from all the stuff that had happened during the first two periods of the day, but I was gonna stick to my word. I was gonna be helping him with a subject that I was comfortable with, so how bad could it be?

Unsurprisingly, Micah was late to the library, where we'd agreed to meet ten minutes after the bell rang.

"You're late," I said as Micah unceremoniously plopped himself down in the seat across from me.

"Hey to you too, Kherrington," he said, leaning back in the chair and crossing his arms.

"I would have said 'Hey' if you'd been on time," I said.

"You sound just like your brothers," he said.

"Which ones?" I asked.

"The ones that teach here."

"Good," I said as I opened my biology textbook. "Keep that mentality while I teach you biology."

Micah narrowed his eyes at me. "I don't need you to teach me biology."

I glared back. "Well obviously you do since you're failing Mrs. Lister's class." His attitude didn't surprise me at all. In fact, I'd been anticipating it. "Get out your biology textbook."

Micah made no effort to unzip his backpack. "Did it ever occur to you that I was failing on purpose?"

"No," I said as I started flipping through the pages to the chapter about photosynthesis. "Because only an idiot would do that."

"Only an idiot would need a tutor," Micah said. "And I'm not an idiot."

I stopped flipping through the textbook and looked up at him. "Are you seriously trying to tell me that you're failing biology on purpose?"

"Is it that hard to believe?"

"Yes, actually it is."

"Then ask me something, anything, from this last chapter we went over in class."

"Okay fine." I scanned the page for important terms that I thought he should know. I doubted he would know any of them. "What is photosynthesis?"

"The process that plants use to turn water and carbon dioxide into sugar and oxygen."

"Correct." I narrowed my eyes as I flipped the page. "But that was an easy one..."

"Fine." Micah put his feet up on the table and crossed his ankles. "Then ask me a harder one."

"Where does photosynthesis take place?"

"In the thylakoids."

He was right...

"Lucky guess. What pigment in green plants absorbs solar energy?"

"Chlorophyll."

Right again.

"What's the name of tissue that moves water and dissolved nutrients from the roots to the leaves in plants?"

"Xylem."

And again.

"Hmmm ..." There had to be some question that I could stump him with.

"Still don't believe me, Kherrington?" Micah asked, a smirk plastered on his face.

"No."

"Why not?"

"Because it doesn't make sense that someone so smart would do something as stupid as failing on purpose."