Chapter Ten

I froze, trying to understand what was happening

I froze, trying to understand what was happening. My body was still naked, and I pulled the covers up to shield myself. The man was sneering at me. He was in his forties, with stringy blonde hair and deep blue eyes. One big huff and I could smell him all around me. He was definitely the rogue stray.

"Get up," he growled.

I closed my eyes tightly, and reopened them. There was definitely and intruder pointing a gun at me. I wasn't dreaming or hallucinating. I pulled the comforter closer to my skin, and began to think of any way I could pull myself out of this. Was there a way? He had the gun, so it didn't look likely.

"What do you want?" I asked. I tried to sound as strong as possible, but my voice shook anyway.

"I want you to get up, now."

His eyes grew darker, and he cocked back the gun when I didn't react immediately. I slipped off the bed, pulling the covers with me. I kept my eyes on his to make sure he knew I was paying attention to his orders. Nothing worse than a trigger happy cat, right?

All the knowledge River had passed on to me coursed through my brain. How to protect yourself in a fight, how to talk down the enemy, and how to disarm. I tried to remember all of the techniques, but the events that took place next proved I wasn't as skilled as I though.

I threw the blanket down as fast as I could, and -moving faster than I thought was possible- I kicked the gun from his hand. He was on to me though, and he was much more agile than I had hoped. As soon as my foot connected with the gun, he grabbed it and twisted. I was knocked flat on to my stomach, and the man was on top of me in an instant.

"I thought I asked nicely. Now you'll get it rough." He said, before bringing my head five inches off the floor and slamming it back down. My mouth opened in pain, and I tasted blood where my tooth connected with my tongue. Before I had time to process my injury, my head went up and back down again. I tried to open my eyes, but everything just faded into blackness.

"Mommy, why can't I come in?" I ask.

We are sitting inside my mother's car, parked outside of a trailer park. Mommy was watching one of the trailers, and a tall man with brown hair walked out the front door.

"Please, Juni. Just wait here, Mommy will be right back."

She ran up to the man, and his eyes widened in surprise. My mother waved her arms around in exasperation,but I couldn't here what she was saying. The tall man led her inside.

I fiddled with my book bag. The sparkles were beginning to rub off, and I traced over the rough edges. My booster seat was making my butt go numb, but mommy insisted I still use it even though I was already five. I was a big girl now! Not a baby.

I waited for a long time. The car was stuffy, but it wasn't hot. The temperature was cool this time of the year, and I snuggled deeper into my tinker bell blanket. I could see the lights on inside the trailer, but no one ever came back out.