bang bang

"Ugh, I can't believe we have to wear this over our costumes." Artemis complained, looking at herself in the mirror as she spun in her black dress. "I look ridiculous."

"You look like a socialite, deal with it." Conner grumbled, adjusting his bow tie. Artemis childishly stuck her tongue out and Conner ignored her, opting to change the subject to more important matters. "So, Clark got us on the guest list as 'junior reporters', that's our cover story. We find the Waynes and we make their night torturous."

M'gann looked a bit uneasy. "Should we really be this mean to our teammates?"

"We aren't being mean, think of it more as friendly teasing between pals." Wally grinned, zipping into the room. "Now c'mon, the limo is here and so is Clark. We gotta go."

Bart turned to Conner as they made their way outside. "I can't believe Superman agreed to help us."

Conner rubbed the back of his neck sheepishly, avoiding Bart's eyes. "Well, he doesn't quite know what we are doing. He just thinks we want to go out on the town together, in a respectable way."

Bart blinked a few times, processing the information he was just given before breaking out into a devilish grin. "This is going to be so crash."

- - -

Bruce looked over all his children and Steph and Barbara, mentally preparing himself for the night ahead. "You all know your assignments, correct? Dick?"

"The charming eldest."

"Tim?"

"The heir to the company."

"Damian?"

"The...adorable...youngest."

"Barbara?"

"Easy, I'm the commissioner's daughter."

"Steph?"

"Stay in the shadows."

"And Cassandra?"

Cass grumbled, crossing her arms over her chest with a glare. "The golden daughter."

"And what are we not going to do?" Bruce narrowed his eyes at Cassandra, making the teen meet his glare with one just as fierce.

"Maim any socialites." She turned her head, mumbling under her breath. "On purpose."

"No, at all." Bruce sighed, rubbing his temples a few times in hopes of lowering his ever rising blood pressure. He looked over the teens once more before nodding, leading the procession towards the ballroom where they were to make their grand enterance. He checked his phone, which had the security feed of the Batcave pulled up, to make sure Jason was still there and at the computer. Thankfully, he was. With a tight smile, Bruce turned to the teens. "Remember to be polite, you represent the Wayne family. Be on your best behavior and whatever you do-"

"Protect the family secret." They all said in monotone unison.

Dick placed a hand on Bruce's shoulder. "This ain't our first rodeo, partner." Bruce gave him a look, most likely questioning every decision he has ever made, before turning and opening the doors. Immediately, the Bats were bombarded with sounds and lights as they entered the ballroom filled with Gotham socialites and reporters.  

Cassandra wished she could be out on patrol because she was already two minutes away from punching one of the snobs in the throat.

The Bats split up, going their separate ways into the crowd. Cassandra and Steph stayed together near the windows while Dick and Damian floated through the crowd, socializing as they went. Tim was schmoozing with the businessmen while Barbara went on the hunt for her father. Bruce was a bit preoccupied by the appearance of one Selina Kyle, so he didn't notice when his second oldest slipped out of the Batcave.

The team had arrived just minutes after the Waynes made their appearances, slipping into the crowds unnoticed. Their plan was to sit back and observe the Waynes from a distance before getting close, but of course, when does anything ever go according to plan?

Artemis and Wally were relaxing by the windows, keeping an eye on Dick and Damian when they felt a tap on their shoulders. They turned to see the one and only Stephanie Brown standing there with her hands on her hips and a scowl on her face. 

"What are you guys doing here? And don't say nothing because I can smell a scheme from a mile away."

Guys, Stephanie found us! What do we tell her?

Tell her the truth, she seems chill.

"We are here to out Batman." Wally shrugged and Artemis face palmed. "Want to help?"

Stephanie thought about it for a moment before shaking her head. "I'm already in so much trouble, why not add a bit more? What can I do to help?"

I knew I liked her.

As Wally and Artemis filled Steph in on the plan, Cassie was on a mission of her own. 

She was following Tim through the crowd when she lost sight of him, mentally cursing at herself. She searched the whole room twice when she finally gave up, slumping against the wall in an alcove by the coat rack. 

Cassie jumped when she felt someone slide down next to her, turning to see Tim smiling softly at her.  "I noticed you following me. I know what you're thinking, and to save you the trouble, I'll come clean. I am Red Robin. I'm sorry I didn't te-mmph!" 

Tim was cut off by Cassie kissing him, the two of them pulling away at the same time to smile at each other. "I get why you couldn't tell me, you dummy. I'm just glad we can be each other now."

Tim grinned, wrapping Cassie in his arms once more, happy and relieved to have the truth out there.

As the couple was reconciling, Barbara was noticing her tail of Conner and M'gann. She decided to play it cool, acting like she had no idea they were following her as she manuevered her way through the crowd. 

Dick and Damian had yet to notice Bart and Jaime watching them from their table on the far side of the room. Cassandra, however, noticed Kaldur and lost him right away, slipping into the shadows to take a break from humans. She didn't notice the little green fly on the wall, staring at the ballroom intently.

It was when Bruce went up to the podium to make a toast when things really went south. 

"I would just like to thank all of you for your generous donations to-" An explosion of glass interrupted Bruce's speech, drawing attention away from the billionaire and to the windows, where stood none other than  Red Hood. But he wasn't alone.

Standing behind him with a gun to Jason's unhelmeted head was the Joker.