28. On Your Left

Mary sat against a tree, overlooking the Washington Monument and the Lincoln Memorial as Steve ran his morning laps around Lincoln Memorial Reflecting Pool

She looked up when she heard her brother and another man.

"Don't you say it! Don't you say it!" The African American man said in frustration as Steve passed him again.

"On your left."

"Come on!"

Mary laughed at the man's reaction, her brother was always courteous towards others, that was just who he was.

The two siblings had moved from Mary's Brooklyn apartment to the one she owned in Washington DC after the Battle of New York two years ago, it's now 2014, Steve is flourishing in Shield and so is Mary, since they moved, Steve has had more missions with the Strike team and Natasha. The three became close friends over the years.

While Steve had his missions, Mary had taken over the medical practices within Shield, and some outside. She still kept in touch with her protege, Stephen Strange, but he had also made his own name, becoming one of the top neurosurgeons in America. She was proud of him.

So Mary sits against her normal tree, she watched Steve but was also typing on her laptop her godson had given her before the siblings left.

It had Jarvis included so Mary hardly had to do anything technical. She and Tony had taken up finding Mary's daughter Becca again, now that Steve was mostly settled in the new era.

Tony had ruled out that she was still in the US, and was now looking at organizations across the waters that worked in cold cases and abducted children, hoping they could give the pair any smidge of hope that Becca was still out there, somewhere, alive.

Mary shut her laptop as the man comes to sit beside her on the tree, clearly needing to get his breathing under control.

"You need a medic?" Mary asks him as her brother walks up to the two.

The man looks at Mary, then chuckles, looking at Steve, "I need a new set of lungs." The man breathes out, causing Mary to laugh. "Dude, you just ran like thirteen miles in thirty minutes." He adds

Mary raises an eyebrow at her brother, "Only thirteen?" She quips, causing her brother to shrug.

"I guess i got a late start." Steve replies.

The man looks at him, "Oh, really? You should be ashamed of yourself. You should take another lap." He states, pausing he looks away for a second then looks back at Steve, "Did you just take it? I assumed you just took it."

Mary laughs again, smiling at how blunt this man is with her brother, "He normally does twenty laps." She points out, "He woke up late this morning."

Steve shakes his head at his sister, "What unit you with?" He asks.