Chapter 23

"Royce?" Kate stood there in disbelief, there he was, standing there, in her boyfriends loft, like it was totally normal. "What the hell are you doing here? I told you to leave Brayden and I alone!"

"I know kid but-"

"No buts Royce, I want you gone and out of here and if I-" just then Martha came walking to the door with alexis holding one hand and Brayden holding the other and Brayden looked at Kate and signed, "mommy who is that man?"

Kate was frozen. She looked at Royce, "you need to leave now." Kate then went past him and knelt down to Brayden, "he's not important sweetie, let's go inside." She picked up her boy and glared at Royce before following Martha and alexis into the loft, letting Rick shut the door.

Kate sighed and set Brayden down so he and alexis could go play, "go play with Alexis, bub, but we are going to leave soon ok?" Brayden nodded and ran off with Alexis and then Kate turned to Rick and Martha. "I'm sorry that happened, I didn't know he would show up here and-"

"Darling! It's not your fault, it quite alright, but I shall be leaving, I have play practice I need to get to. See you kiddos," Martha placed a kiss on each of their cheeks before making her dramatic exit, leaving Rick and kate standing alone.

"I should get Brayden home, he has school tomorrow and I have work.."

"Kate don't do this." Rick steps closer to get and wraps his arms around her, "don't run away and hide, I want to help you through this, and what about Brayden's appointment Wednesday? Do you still want me to go?"

Kate pulls away from him slightly, "I'm running, I just think I need some time with son, and yeah I want you to go.. But right now I need to go, I'm sorry I know we just got together and all but I need to get home." Rick nods and let's go of her and Kate gets her things then she gets Brayden.

Rick walks them to the car and helps Brayden into the ad and after they fist pump he opens Kates car door, "are you sure you want to go?"

Kate sighs, "yeah, I'll call you ok?" She cups his cheek and they kiss briefly and then Kate sits into her car, "thank you for everything." Rick Just smiles and shuts her car door, slightly backing away so she has room to get out. After she's reversed she and Brayden wave before she takes off into the busy main drag.

-Kates house-

"Brayden please go empty your bag and then you can watch cartoons while mommy makes breakfast ok?"

"Ok, mommy, but can I help you?"

"Sure bub, I'll get the stuff ready." Brayden took off down the hall to his room and kate smiled but shook her head, he was always so full of energy and always had to help.

By the time they were done eating and Kate was done cleaning up the mess it was going on 11:00 and she still needed to get groceries for the week, or Brayden wouldn't have anything for lunch. She bought herself some time by setting Brayden in front of the TV so she could get ready and when she was done she helped him pick out an outfit.

"Is this ok mommy?" He asked holding up jeans and hoodie.

"Sure is bub, get changed and then I'll tie your shoes up." Brayden did as asked and after his shoes were tied Kate grabbed her purse and they went out to the car.

At the store it was packed and Brayden held onto Kate's shirt nervously. Kate ,felt him but kept doing what she was doing. Down the chip isal, she put her cart off to the side and went to grab a bag of chips and Brayden followed, running into a man causing him to drop everything in his arms, "hey kid! Watch it!" Brayden got up fast and backed up into kate and he looked up scared but then realized it was his mother and huddled into her. "Ma'am tell your son to watch it and be respectful and listen.."

Kate calmly rubbed his back and addressed the man, "I'm sorry he ran into but you don't need to yell, he can't hear you anyway..," kate knelt down to her son and wiped his tears, "it's ok bub, it was an accident, why don't you tell the man your sorry, then we can go get you your juice boxes ok?" She kissed his forehead and watched as he turned to the man.

Brayden looked at the man, whose face has totally changed, "I'm sorry..." He signed then turned back to his mother.

"He said he was sorry, now if you'll excuse me.." Kate sorry up and held Brayden's hand and pushed the cart with her other, leaving the man standing in the isle speechless.

-

Yay! An update! I'll try and update sooner, this past month has just been crazy!