Hear No Secrets Chapter 9

Hear  No Secrets

Taylor Lautner as Grant Clark

Kristin Kreuk as Chloe Lang 

Chapter 9

            The last thing I wanted to do was lie to Grant, but I had to lie more and more throughout the week as the competition got closer. Posters were made and my official site was being updated. I was the talk of the entire gymnastics world. People at school even began coming up to me.

“Congratulations!” Mrs. Modden said as she walked up to me in the hallway, “I’ll be rooting for you!”

“Thanks Mrs. Modden,” I smiled, “I really appreciate that.”

She smiled, “Everyone at the school is cheering for you.”

“I’ve been getting lots of nice messages, but I’m still pretty nervous.”

“You’ll do great.”

“Thanks.”

            As she walked back to her classroom, Grant came up to meet me before we walked to lunch together.

“Why are so many people talking to you lately?” he asked as we walked to the cafeteria, “It’s like you’re popular again.”

“I’m far from popular,” I told him, “I don’t want to be popular again.”

“It wasn’t fun?”

“It’s not that,” I said, “It’s just… not what everyone thinks it is. I wasn’t popular for the right reasons and the people I thought were my friends weren’t my friends for the right reasons.”

“So you’re saying I’m your friend for the right reasons, but Penny wasn’t?”

“Exactly,” I laughed, “Something like that. You talk to me because you want to. Penny talked to me to get popular.”

“She used you to get popular?”

“Yeah, that’s exactly what she did. Too bad I realized it too late.”

“What do you mean?” he asked as we got to the cafeteria.

“I’ll explain later,” I said, “Let’s just go get lunch.”

            We went through the line and got our lunch before sitting at our usual table. The last few days Lana and Mia have been sitting down next to us, but they still can’t get Grant to talk to them.

“When are you leaving?” he asked.

“Tomorrow. The earliest I’ll be back is the middle of next week.”

“Want to tell me where you’re going yet?” he asked.

            Should I tell him? I was actually thinking about it. He’s going to see it on the TV and the school was probably going to announce it the farther I got into the competition. I would hate for the school to play it on the TV and not have anyone there to explain it to Grant.

“Can I ask you a favor?” I asked a few minutes later.

“Yeah.”

“I know you’re big into school and studying, but don’t go to school Friday.”

“Why not?”

“Because,” I said, “If you really want to know then stay home Friday and watch ESPN.”

“ESPN?”

“Yes, watch ESPN. I know you have a lot of questions for me just like I have a lot of questions for you, but I promise I will answer them as soon as I get back. I really want you to watch it.”