Chapter 22

Reese POV

"Family of Rico Knight?" 

We had been in the waiting room for the last 3 hours, stressing over Rico. Lance being stressed more then us all. 

"Thats us," He said walking over to the doctor with his shoulders hunched and his eyes wary. I watched as the doctors lips moved and Lance tense shoulders relaxed and a small smile form on his face. Lance shook hands with the doctor and walked back to us swifly. 

"He's fine guys. They were able to get the bullet out of his shoulder and patch him up. He'll be able to come home in about 2 days," He said, grinning all the while. I could tell he was relieved. He and Rico have been getting the bad guys together for about 15 years and it would kill him if Rico was seriously hurt. So much. 

"Great, thats such good news," Chloe said squeezing my hand and smiling her beautiful smile at Lance.

Mines. 

Lance looked around before coming to me and dropping to his knees so his face was level with mines. "Listen kid. Me and Rico, we're old guys. I'm leaving this in your hands ok. Your the new generation, the young one out of us three and i trust that you will lead this well. Not only do you have a smart and skillful mind but you have one of the best teams that i have come to know in all my years of being in this business. I have faith that you guys will get this sick guy and put him in his place. Do you get what im telling you kid?" 

I looked at him for a while, finally noticing the wrinkles in the corners of his eyes and the grey hairs peeking out in his hair and on his beard. The guy was old and tired and i was foricng him into our mess. I laughed.

"I get what your saying man. Take a break, relax. We'll get him. Stay here with Rico if you want," i said laying my hand on his shoulder. 

His eyes held nothing but relief as he pulled me into his arms. "Be safe kid. Please safe."

"Ow Chloe! That freaking burns!"

"Stop moving! I'm almost finished!"

I felt the sting of the alcohol on my forehead  and jerked away again.

"Owwwwww!"

I could tell Chloe was biting back a grin as she yanked my head back against her stomach.

"Are you done?" I asked, attemptibg to pry her hands of my face but she only held tighter.

"I would be if you stopped moving Reese, Jesus. Just be still."

She continued to clean my wound, with me whining all the while, before grabbing a rag and washing my face off.

"There," She said as she kisses my face gently. She moved away from me to clean up her bathroom and put away the first aid kit.

Her bedroom door gently opened and her mom's head popped in.

"Hey kids, i just wanted you to know that there is food on the table."

Chloe released a breath and smiled.

"Oh thank goodness! I was starving."

"When arent you staring?" I whispered but she heard me and before i could react she had thrown a teddy at me ans hit me directly ob the wound on my head.

"Owwwwww!"

I watched as Chloes mom placed a kiss on her forehead and did the same to mine before leaving the room.

We ate in a comfortable silence. We were both tired and just wanted to go to bed. As we pulles back the sheets in Chloes bed, She looked at me.

"We have to go see David tomorrow. We have to talk to him."