7: Beaten Down

7: Beaten Down

I don't sleep properly. I spend all night watching the door with bloodshot eyes. Mason sleeps like an oaf, he snores and drools and murmurs words in his sleep.

He keeps twitching and moaning, and I swear I've heard him say 'heather' and 'lily' at least four times. I didn't know Mason had such a keen interest in flowers.

I sigh, the room is dark and I’m straining my eyes trying to see anything. On the bright side, I’ve been wriggling my wrist inside the handcuff for around three hours, and it’s currently trapped around my fingers.

My hands mauled, and it’s messed up pretty bad, but after a bit more wiggling my wrist is free. I inspect my hand, and see blood pooling around my fingers and dripping down my wrist. Silently, and staring at Mason the whole time, I slide off of the bed.

The blood from my wrist drips onto the floor immediately. I cover my wrist with my other hand and I make a beeline for Mason’s en-suite, and once I’m inside I lock the door. There’s a window, and I can see the darkness outside. It’d be murder going out now.

Rationalising, I decide I might as well try and capture a few hours sleep. I clamber inside the bathtub, worrying about how rickety it sounds. But I curl up, and try and close my eyes.

I awake with a start, like I always do, from some uneasy dream or reoccurring nightmare.

My wrist had bled through my t-shirt, and I can feel my body is wet and sticky with my own blood. I don't have time to worry about it though. It appears I've slept longer than usual as there is light flooding through the window.

It's not a bright white, instead a deep red colour, and I know it's just before the sun comes up. When the blue sky and red sun oppose each other, cutting deep across their shared sky, until they rest harmoniously amongst one another and the cool blue captures the entire sky.

Shakily, I climb out of the bathtub, and I reach for the side when I spot a towel so I can wrap it around my wrist. It seems to stop the bleeding, but only after it's leaked through the towel.

Fantastic, I'm already covered in blood after only taking a shower yesterday.

I listen through the door, and I still hear Mason snoring. Good, Captain suck up is still asleep. Unlocking the bathroom door slowly, I poke my head around it and look at Mason.

There's no way I'd be able to get past him. Mason would wake up before I'd even got my arm through the door. Not to mention the numerous guards that would undoubtedly be on patrol around the place.

Sighing, I slide my head back through the door, and close it behind me, without locking it. I spy the window, and it looks big enough for me to squeeze through.

Thankfully it opens sideways, and when I do manage to crack it open (which is incredibly difficult as the window is stiff and with my right hand still encased in the towel) I slide through it with ease.

My feet land stably on the other side of the window, and I grin. I close the window back up as best as I can from the other side. From my boot I pull out my knife, and I start to make my way towards the wall surrounding the civilian area.