Reasonable Doubt Anyone?

"I have to be better tomorrow I just have to." I repeat over and over as I pace around my condo.

"You were fine, Ashley. Don't let what Scott said rattle you." Jackson tells me shaking his head.

"Jackson..." I start, sitting down next to him on my couch.

"I know." He cuts me off and says with a smile.

"What am I gonna do?" I ask him.

"Well first you gotta win this case. Everything else will come easy after that." He smiles wider and I can't help but smile back.

"Have I told you lately how much I love you?" I ask.

"Enough to sleep with me?" He asks, quirking a brow. I shake my head and hit him on the arm.

"Aaaaaand now it's gone." I laugh and say.

"But seriously, you've got this Ashley. Did you see the way the juror's looked after you rattled that cop? You planted the seeds, Ash and that's really all you can do." He says and I nod.

"I know. I just... I couldn't bear it if we lost this case and Spencer got the..." I trail off, not wanting to say the words.

"You just have to believe that you'll win this, and you will. Just be as amazing as you were today tomorrow, and you got this one in the bag." He says and I smile.

"Now I love you again."

"Really so-"

"Don't ruin it." I cut him off by placing a finger to his lip and shaking my head. He rolls his eyes and smiles at me.

"Should I order Chinese?" He asks as I get up from the couch.

"Sure." I nod and go into my room. I grab the file off my nightstand and open it to Spencer's picture.

I sigh and close the folder. I'd have to be much better tomorrow to win this case for her.

Jackson ordered Chinese and we stayed up late working on my questioning for the ballistics expert tomorrow as well as more questions for the cop.

The next day at trial Scott called the lead investigator to the stand first. Questioning him about any enemies the victim might have had or if the investigation turned up and more suspects. After Scott was done questioning him I asked only two questions; how many bullet wounds did the victim have and were all the bullets recovered from the scene. He answered that the bullet we found in the neighbors tree was the bullet that was fired first into the victims hand, grazed his neck, went though the living room wall, a fence and into a tree.

After that Scott called the ballistics expert to the stand. Questioning him about the bullets and bullet casings found at the scene and his statement was exactly the same as what he'd told us in the lab. Except Scott was sure not to ask about the third bullet, or to point out that the third bullet casing was missing from the scene. So I did.

"Hello, Dr. Zerchani." I say as I approach the witness stand.

"Hello Counselor." He greets me.

"How long did you say you've been a expert on ballistics?" I ask.

"17 years." He answers proudly.

"So you're pretty familiar with every type of bullet and shell casing and maybe even wound patterns?" I ask.

"Yeah, you can say that."

"Do you mind telling the court what type of gun the victim owned?"

"A Ruger SR22P .22 caliber single action pistol." He testifies. And that's this weapon right here," I walk over and pick up the gun from the desk. "Entered into evidence as the murder weapon exhibit D, correct?" He examines the weapon for a moment before concurring. I walk back to my desk and get the bullet's recovered from Aiden's body.