vii. superbia

vii. superbia

"when pride comes, then comes disgrace, but with the humble is wisdom." --proverbs 11:2.

Adelaida felt prideful in her heart to be marrying Cristiano, but the pride also existed because she had a plan. If her grandmother wanted to see hell, then she would see it. Adelaida no longer cared what her grandmother thought. By asking her parents to lie, they were able to get her grandmother to Madrid. They had told her Adelaida needed help packing her belongings. According to their lie, Cristiano and Adelaida would no longer get married and she would return to Madeira with her family. Her grandmother was delighted to hear the news.

But that was all a ruse to get her to Madrid.

When they arrived, they found Cristiano's house was bustling with all kinds of people, all who were dressed for a wedding. Adelaida's grandmother was appalled that they would fool her that way.

In her bedroom, Adelaida and Cristiano were talking about their plan. They needed to make sure everything was perfect. Barging into the room, Sergio said, "Your parents just arrived with your grandmother."

Adelaida took a deep breath to steel her nerves. "Lets hope it all goes well."

Bringing her into his arms, he kissed the top of her head gently. "I still think this is a harsh joke to play on your grandmother." He admitted to her, biting down on his lip.

"She drove me to this." Adelaida sighed.

Minutes later, they heard a knock on their door. It was Adelaida's older sister Marisella, who had helped set everything up with the rest of the family and Cristiano's friends. She was announcing to them that everything was ready for them to begin.

-

Her grandmother was led into the vast backyard of the house. In the middle was a path in white carpet, with rows of chairs on either side. An arch with flowers they walked under to get to their chairs had beautiful white roses decorating it. On the left were the seats for Adelaida's friends and family. Those were decorated with flowers and frilly white cloth, giving it a heavenly feel. On the right were the seats for Cristiano's friends and family. That section was enclosed in barned wire and decorated with red and black. Sitting there were many of his football friends. Adelaida was playing on her grandmother's fear that marrying Cristiano would be her doom.

Grandmother Vieira barely had enough time to sit in her seat when Cristiano pushed past some guests that were blocking his path that led to the altar. "Make way for the groom." He said obnoxiously, just like he and Adelaida had rehearsed. Her grandmother noticed he was dressed in all red and black, colors which represented darkness and evil to her.

He made his way to the altar where a judge stood waiting for them. That was another thing Adelaida had done to upset her grandmother, to bring a judge and not a priest to the wedding. Adelaida soon joined Cristiano, her dress was nothing like a wedding dress. It was a crimson red color and a few inches above the knee, something she had never worn before. The smile on her face was unmistakeable as she joined the man who would become her husband. The young woman looked over her shoulder once, to catch a glimpse of her grandmother's reaction. She was horrified.

The ceremony was short and simple. Everyone else at the celebration looked happy for them. All but one. When it came time for the judge to ask for objections, her grandmother shot up from her seat. "Why are you ruining your life like this?" She asked. "That man is not good, look what he's done to you." She gestured to her short red dress and face caked with dark make up. She had no way of knowing it was all on purpose, to show her grandmother that no matter what she loved Cristiano and would marry him despite knowing her grandmother's words.

"Grandmother, sit down please." Adelaida's sister Marisella said, and helped the elderly woman back in her seat.

Her grandmother remained quiet for the remainder of the ceremony, but still seemed horrified until the very last moment.

When the judge pronounced them husband and wife, Adelaida jumped forward and kissed Cristiano hungrily on the lips. All their guests cheered in encouragement except one. Adelaida and Cristiano walked down the aisle together, hand in hand, as husband and wife. 

-

For reasons Adelaida couldn't understand, her grandmother stayed for the reception. Perhaps, she thought her grand daughter would end up changing her mind. There was still time to make things right, as her grandmother saw it.

The party decorations were red and black and as the sun went down, the place began to look more and more like hell. Adelaida had requested getting flame lights, making the place look as though it were on fire. Red strobe lights illuminated the dance floor and everyone at the party had gone dressed in either red or black. Everywhere, the guests were drinking and smoking, more than at other parties, per request of the bride.

As the night went on, Adelaida's eyes were kept on her grandmother who hadn't moved from her spot where she had been sitting during the ceremony.

She separated from Cristiano and went to go talk to her. Upon getting closer, her grandmother told her, "Don't get close to me. You're unholy."

"Grandmother," Adelaida began, "I love you. I only did this as a joke, we didn't actually get married today. Our wedding is next Saturday, but I wanted you to see that it doesn't matter to me if you think Cristiano is Satan and his friends are the deadly sins. I love him and he is a good man, and I ask that you accept him."

"I won't." The elder woman stood her ground.

"Then I guess this is the last you'll see of me." Adelaida said as her eyes burned with tears that threatened to escape. Her grandmother only nodded and Adelaida walked away, back to her table where she had been enjoying Cristiano's company.

That night, she had experienced the last of the deadly sins.

-

oooohhh.

the last chapter. now i'll be posting the epilogue and then this story will be complete. so thank you all for reading and supporting. it means a lot to me. i love you.

-clary xx