Chapter 49

Kevin's P.O.V.
Joe ran into the room where our parents are currently talking to Nick's doctor about his health and revalidation. "Nick is awake." He nearly shouts.

"What?" The doctor asks him. "Nick. Pippa is with him. He's awake." Joe smiles.

"Can we go too?" I ask the doctor as he is making his way to the door. "Yes, you may walk along, but not long. I need to do some tests on him." I nod in response.

The doctor opens the door and the sight in the room is too sweet. Pippa and Nick are holding hands while she gently hugs him. He has his other arm wrapped tightly around her as if he is afraid to let her go.

Pippa's face holds a frown. Tear tracks are visible, but right now it's more as if she's numb in Nick's arms.

I walk closer and ask for Nick to let go of Pippa. He refuses, but finally let go of her when I beg him too. Pippa wraps her arms around my neck and I hold her close. This is the first real hug she's given me ever since she got back.

I sat down with her on a chair near the wall and hold her tightly in my arms.

"Good afternoon Nick. I assume by what we just witnessed, you know who you are and who all these people are?" Nick nods slowly in response.

For as far Joe told us, he's only asked for Pippa to make sure she's really there and not that he is somewhere else.

"Alright. I will give you a minute with your family before I need them to leave the room. I've got a few small questions and some things I want to check out. Sound like a deal?" The doctor speaks to Nick. Nick nods in response.

"Thank you, doctor." Mom thanks him.

The doctor gives her a curtesy nod leaves the room to give us that minute with Nick.

No one really knows what to say. All mom and dad know is that he overdosed on insulin. They don't know that I read in his notes that he lived up to it and not so accidentally put himself throughout all of this. That he wanted to leave us.

I can't imagine what he might have thought during the last week. Was he aware of the pain he was going to put us through? Is his life so miserable that he would do this? Did he think we wouldn't know? Wouldn't figure it out? Well, obviously not, otherwise he wouldn't have put it in his note.

Pippa shifts herself around in my lap and turns to face our family and Nick. "Why did he do this?" She asks.

"He..." Mom starts but doesn't finish.

"He was upset about a lot of things." I explain to her, not really wanting to go into greater detail at the moment.

She hears the undertone in my voice and keeps quiet. She rests her head back on my shoulder and hides her face in my neck. She's probably tired.

The doctor soon returns and asks us politely if we would leave the room. Mom had been having a silent conversation with Nick and he'd flashed her a sad smile. Other than that, he keeps his face mostly numb. Without any emotion visible.

We leave the room and not long after mom starts to cry into my dad's shoulder. I had picked Pippa up in my arms and Frankie stood aside, not knowing what to do. We barely see mom this upset. She's emotional, but who isn't? I mean, she keeps herself fairly grounded, but if one of us in trouble or in pain, she gets upset, she cries, lets it out and picks herself up again for us.

"Mom?" Pippa asks. "What is going on? Is there something you're not telling us?"

"No honey. Nothing is wrong. They're happy tears. You're back. You and your brothers are healthy, and Nick is going to recover." She rubs Pippa's arm in comfort. She needs it.

Pippa turns herself to me. "Are you coming home with us?" I nod my head.

I really can't leave my family alone. Neither can Danielle. She is worried about everyone and wants to help make sure each of us take proper care of ourselves.

"Can we go now?" She asks with a small voice. I smile, this version of Pippa gives me flashbacks to our younger ages where she would be like this all the time. My innocent little sister. I know she's 19, but she's fairly small for her age and she knows she needs her older brother. She wouldn't usually do this. She's more the distance type of girl. Not really a hug type of girl.

Joe was the annoying brother who would pick on her, pull her hair and steal her food. Nick had always been by himself and kept himself well entertained. Pippa usually hung around me to avoid Joe or to have me fight him. I looked out for all of them and I'm the eldest. I sometimes joined in on the fun with Joe, because well, we're not for nothing her brothers.

Frankie never really joined in on the fun, but he's also six years under Pippa. Thirteen years under me. We were more grown up when he was born, so we had most puberty years already behind us. Nick still joining those years with little help of his Diabetes and Pippa was an easy girl through her puberty years. She cleaned up nicely. Dressed more nicely and less like us with worn-out jeans and hoodies and sweaters when we had her age.

I carried Pippa to our car, because that one was parked more near the hospital entrance, while Danielle walked next to me, linking her arm with mine. I put Pippa in a backseat behind the driver's seat and wished the rest of my family well and that I'd see them at home.

I drove the three of us home and Pippa was awake enough to walk into the house by herself.

Thank you so much for reading! I hope you liked it!!! If there's anything you'd like to see, please leave a comment or a dm and I will see what I can do! Anything is helpful/useful, so please don't hesitate to tell me your ideas!!