Chapter 5 Chat, the Part Time Spy?

Chat Noir arrives to check up on Marinette and Alya one week later. He just wants to make sure everything is alright between them.  He sees them laugh.  He  sees Marinette squirm a bit as Alya styles her hair.  He thinks it is cute the face Marinette makes right now.  He blushes at the very thought.   He does make a noise though so as not to alert the girls he is there.

        "Marinette now where do you suppose Chat has run off too?"  Alya remarks.

       "What do you mean?  It is not like I keep tabs on his whereabouts."  Marinette replies.

       "Oh,well that is a shame what with how close you two are anyway!"  Alya teases her.

          "Alya, I told you we are friends.   Stop going on as if we had something to hide."  Marinette blurts out.

         "Marinette, come on!  Girl, it is obvious  Chat sees you as more!  Way more!"  Alya retorts.

            Chat overhears the entire conversation.  He even recalls how when he hears Marinette say, friends, it felt like he was stung.  He is not sure why it should trouble him, but it does though. Perhaps, Alya is on to something.   Maybe,he does see Marinette differently than he use too.

           " Good grief, that is not true!  Even if were  to be true, who cares!  I know I do not. "  Marinette says.  She gives Alya a look of annoyance at last.  She cannot see why her best friend should go on and on about Chat as if he were someone that important to her.  As if he were a boyfriend or something.  She thinks, the very thought is rather  odd.  She believes there is no way I will ever fall for someone like him.

          "Marinette, just admit it!  You like him!  You like Chat!"  Alya responds.

            "I  do not like him!  Chat is just like a brother to me!   He is not my type and never will be so there!"  Marinette says.

            Chat from his position on the balcony can see clearly into the room.  He sighs.  He thinks, wait did Marinette , really just say I am only like a brother to her?  Not her type, huh?   He frowns.  He goes back to the roof to sulk.  He just sits there to pout for a bit. 

             "Whatever you say!"  Alya says. She still thinks the whole thing to be quite amusing.  She cannot figure out why Marinette should be jealous about Chat when she claims he is only a brother like figure.

               "Oh, and just what does that mean?"  Marinette says with her hands on her hips.   She keeps her hair up in the bun that Alya put it up in just the same.

             "It means that you will loose him if you are not careful!   It means that I might consider him as a suitable boy for me.  Have you ever thought of that Marinette?  Well, have you?"  Alya retorts.  She waits to see what response Marinette gives her now.

              "What about Nino?"  Marinette says. She puts her hand over her mouth when she realizes she just let that slip out.

             "What about that disco boy?  He makes it very clear he wants nothing to do with me."  Alya says.   

          "Really, now?  Then, why did Nino just text me that he thinks you are one clever girl?"  Marinette says. She tries hard not to giggle when Alya blushes.

         "Marinette hand me that phone, now!"  Alya says. She looks at the screen and gasps when she sees the recent text Nino sent Marinette.

          Here is the text message:   Alya is one clever girl!   Man, I sound like a love sick puppy, right?  I mean what could she see in me when she has gone out with people way smarter and better looking than myself?   I will never stand a chance with her.  Never! -Nino  

       Marinette smirks, she thinks, well what do we have here?   "Well, Alya?  What do you think about Nino now?"  Marinette teases her.

          "Nino, is uh, well you see..."  Alya says.

        "He what exactly?"  Marinette ask. 

       "It is kinda complicated.  It is not like I can ever face him again."  Alya says. 

        "What could have taken place to make you say so?   Besides, whatever it was I am sure he has forgotten all about it!"  Marinette says.

       "If only it were that simple, Mari!"  Alya says.

       "What ?"  Marinette ask.  She thinks, this whole thing between Alya and Nino has me curious now.  It seems she thinks, that maybe those two have some past history or something.

        "Fine, it is just that long before I met you, Nino and I were best friends.  Then, one day, I  said something stupid.  Nino took it the wrong way and he was hurt.  Badly hurt.  I tried to make it up to him and apologize, but he just begin to ignore me. Later, we kinda begin to drift apart.  Only the year you came to school, we became friends again.  This would have been great if it were not for one thing!"   Alya tells her.

       "One thing, what?  What was it?"  Marinette ask.  

        "It is Lila Rossi!"  Alya blurts out.

        "Lila, as in the exchange student Lila?   I do not really get it."  Marinette says.

         "It turns out Lila likes Nino!  At least she did in high school, and well she made sure to spend as much time with him as she could.  She told him lies about me.  Lies which some he did not believe and others he did.  To make it worse, when I went to confront him about it all, I found him with her.  He was talking to her and she kissed him!  I saw him return the kiss and knew then it was all over for us!  I never did stand a chance with him.   It was then, I left town!  I could not be here to see him with her!  Let alone to see her with that smug look on her face."  Alya says.

        "What you are kidding?  Nino and Lila?"  Marinette says.

         "I am afraid so. "  Alya says.

          "Oh, no!  I am so sorry, Alya!"  Marinette says. She hugs her.  She thinks, should I respond back to Nino or not?

           Marinette decides to text him back.  She might as well humor him.  It is not like he could possibly want to talk about Lila, right?

          Nino, Alya is still hurt about the past!  She says she did want to see you with Lila. :(   How could you?  How could you do this to her?  -Marinette

           Chat Noir  lands with a thud on the balcony.  He does not care if the girls heard it or not.   He feels sorry for Alya when it comes to Nino.  He decides his days as Chat, the Part Time Spy are over!  It is much to painful.  He turns to go...

           to be continued in Chapter  6  Get Back Here, Chat Noir, This Instant!