Chapter Nine: Date Night

"No way would I be caught wearing that!" Amy said disgustedly as Laura showed her a muddy brown jumper.
"Well, you're not wearing those tiny shorts. Besides, you look good in this." Laura said, starting to sound impatient.
"Yeah, when I was nine." Amy replied moodily. "Can I wear a skirt instead?" What did a woman who was only a few years older know about fashion?
"As long as it's not a mini." Laura answered crisply.
"Just below the knees, and I pick out the top."
"Deal." Laura said.

Amy put on some eye make-up and pink lipstick. She smoothed her skirt at least fifty times while pacing in the living room. When Jeff wheeled up to the door on his motorcycle, Amy ran right out the door. They were gone before Laura could see them leave.

The movie went by fine, Amy and Jeff sharing a box of popcorn and a package of Swedish fish. She even held his hand when the prince kissed the princess. After that they went over to Betty's Diner, having a burger each and a plate of fries.
"Is there anything else you want?"
"How about dessert?"
When their large chocolate milkshake was finished, Amy and Jeff walked outside.
"Is there anywhere you want to go?" Jeff asked her.
"I know a perfect place!" she gushed.
A few directions and about an hour from civilization, they found the spot.
"Welcome to the lake house."

The lake house was a summer cottage that Ellen would bring Mike and Amy to during the summer. To them, it was the closest thing to Disneyworld; their own little place. They would swim in the lake, catch frogs, look at the stars at night, and catch fireflies. When they moved out of Ellen's, they would still go, short weekend trips. Laura would come too, and Amy would find a sunny spot to sit down with her notebook and write. Her first story was about a brother and sister who would go to their own little world.