Lovers are gonna love... and haters gonna hate

Fred sank back in a Gryffindor common room armchair, warding off his miserable spirits with a large-ish bottle of Firewhiskey. Several tissues littered the carpet surrounding the moody red-head. His double, George, sighed in both amusement sympathy.

"You... kinda fucked up, Fred..." George said quietly. "It's not every day you get a chance like the Yule Ball- and you kinda chucked that awa-"

"I did not!" Fred said hotly.

"You chickened out," George sniggered. "You asked her to meet you and you chickened ou-"

"Thanks for the support, Forge," Fred muttered, looking away. He slammed the bottle onto the table next to the armchair in frustration. George chuckled.

"Love sickness is natural, Freddie. Just wait a little while. Maybe..." George's eyes twinkled mischievously. "Just maybe... she'll notice you..."

Fred couldn't stand it. Ever since fourth year (last year), Fred had his eyes on the bookworm. Simply everything about her was admirable- her intelligence, her witty remarks, her appearance and her personality- he could go on for days. But he couldn't stand being judged by twelvie Gryffindors as they had tried giving 'relationship advice' (we all know how that'll sound) so he took one more swig or Firewhiskey and stood up to walk around the castle.

As Fred was about to step through the portrait hole, he was collided with someone who was coming in, causing the person's books to tumble all over the common room floor. Mumbling apologies, he bent down to pick them up and collided heads with the owner.

"Ouch Fred," a soft voice said irritably.

"Oh, I'm so sorry 'Mione," Fred blushed to the hue of the famous Weasley red, handing a couple of books back to her. He spied George grinning his ass off in the corner.

Hermione smiled as she picked up the rest of her fallen belongings. "It's all good, Fred. I just forgot to grab my Charms book! Such a nuisance," she twittered on, oblivious to Fred's gaze.

He suddenly snapped out of his trance.

"Oh yep, haha!" he said, way too late. "Fancy 'Mione, the smartest witch of her age, forgetting a simple textbook." He gave himself a mental high-five as Hermione laughed.

"Oh, it's not as simple as that..." She gave him a smile as she walked quickly towards to her dorm.

Only minutes later, Hermione reappeared with, not just one, but several new books stuffed into her bag. She gave a small wave as she strode towards the portrait hole and walked out.

Thinking quickly, Fred clambered out after her, almost making her shriek and drop her books again as he tapped on her shoulder meekly.

"Fred!" She exclaimed, her brown eyes flashing in annoyance, making Fred regret it instantly.

"Oh, s-sorry 'Mione, I..." he stammered nervously, shuffling his feet. "I-I was just wondering..."

George and the others probably had the old Extendable Ears out by now, Fred thought bitterly.

"Yes Fred? I've got to get to a class," Hermione clicked her tongue impatiently.

"Well... um, you see... I've, uh,"

"Weasley!"

Angelina Johnson came marching up the corridor, looking absolutely livid. Hermione saw this as a chance to get to her Charms class and slipped away. Fred noticed and felt even more miserable than ever. He barely listened to what Angelina was raving on about; he kept replaying the moment Hermione smiled at him. Then kept replaying the moments following that moment.