Hey Stranger

"I can't believe that all this time you've lived in Stars Hollow, you've never participate in the Stars Hollow Picnic Basket Bid." Rory said as they went down the aisles in Doose's Market. Lucy shrugged. She was fine with finally going to school, but Rory was right. It seemed like before then, nobody but a select few people actually knew who Lucy was, and Lucy only knew those select few people.

"I just, don't get out much, I guess." she shrugged.

"Well this year, you're doing it." Rory gave one of her cute smiles before stepping in front of the baskets. Rory picked one up before they both heard, "Not that one."

They both turned to see Dean smiling at Rory. "You get no say in the basket." Rory smiled.

"Well I have to bid on it."

"And you have to eat what's inside of it, and you get no say in that either." she looked at him moving closer to him in the other aisle. Lucy stood there awkwardly third wheeling.

"Hey," Dean said, "is Taylor behind me?"

"Nope." Rory looked.

Dean gave a sly smile. He moved in closer to her and kissed her. Lucy looked away and started looking for a basket. She picked a big one. She thought it would be funny to get a big basket, only to put a small meal inside. The smaller the meal the quicker it was over. She turned around to tell Rory she was ready to go.

"What? Taylor?" Dean looked at Rory. He then turned around. He sighed, "Jess."

"Sorry to intrude." Jess said bluntly.

"Then why did you."

"Well you're having your vertical from-here-to-eternity moment right in front of the super glue." Jess said. Lucy couldn't help but giggle and handing the super glue to Rory. "Oh," she said, "Here." she handed it to Jess.

"Not that that's not an appropriate place to be doing it infront of but--"

"--Here's your glue." Dean said insisting he leave.

"Thanks." he looked at them before at Lucy, "As you were." he walked off. Lucy wanted to follow after him. She felt she needed to apologize about the fight they had a while ago, but stopped herself short. "I really hate that guy." she heard Dean say.

"Dean." Lucy rolled her eyes.

"He didn't do anything." Rory said.

"He's here, he's breathing, that's enough."

"I really wish you to could start over." Rory said. "Why?" he said.

"Because he lives here, we'll run into him, plus, he goes to school with you and Lucy, I just think it'd be easier." Rory explained. "I'm fine with the whole hating him thing, thank you." Dean informed. Lucy rolled her eyes again.

"I think it's just a waste of energy." Rory added. "You know? I'll have a power bar." Dean retorted. "Fine forget it." Rory said.

As Dean and Rory carried out their conversation, Lucy was quick to snag some super glue herself. It was a two for one sale and she knew she could really use the stuff for her arts and crafts having to do with the basket.

"God!" Rory said as Jess reappeared next to the girls.

"Sorry." he said blandly; grabbing another super glue package. "Two for one sale." he waved it before leaving. Lucy quickly walked after him, "Jess!" she called him.

Jess turned around to her; stepping back on the sidewalk. "Yeah?"

"About the fight.. A few weeks ago..." she said.

"Forgotten." Jess interrupted her. "Really?" she asked him with raised brows.

"Completely." he nodded. Lucy breathed out relieved. Jess looked at her gesturing to his ears, "You don't have your earbuds in."

"Nope." she smiled.

"What changed?" he looked at her curiously. Lucy shrugged, "Don't need escapism right now, I guess." she smiled. Jess caught the disease and smiled too. "Obviously not," he commented gesturing to her basket in her hands next, "You've found a new passion, Yogi."

Lucy giggled, "Well, not really. I've never done this thing before, but it should be fun right? It's for a good cause."

"You've never done it before?" he asked. Lucy's smiled faltered slightly, "Yeah."

Jess cocked his head to the side curiously. He just had to ask.

 "...How is it that you've lived here longer than I have, and you've never participated in anything remotely related to this place?" he looked at her quizzically. Lucy had the sudden urge to put her earbuds in and looked down; refraining. "No reason." she evaded.

He continued, "I don't know just seems you're more of a stranger to this place than I am." 

Lucy stayed silent.

Jess nodded and observed her once more. Shy stance, tugging at her shirt sleeves, again, he thought. "Well. Remember that you have to buy those first." he smiled slyly, "Unless you're going for town shoplifter, then I say go ahead."

Lucy smiled smally, "Will I see you at the bid?"

"You might." he shrugged as he walked away.