Amphitrite // Josh Kiszka

Warnings: none; I'm still yearning.

Requested by a very sweet anon on tumblr  <3 

As soon as Josh told you his betta fish had died, you grabbed your wallet and your keys and hopped in the car, ready to go get him everything you thought might comfort him. Sure, to many people a fish dying wouldn't be an event to get so depressed about–let alone have an entire day of mourning–but Josh had that fish for years, for so long you were amazed it had actually died at all. You really thought he might have given it some sort of immortality with the way he talked to it, fed it "special" food, and gave it a nice space with enriching little castles and rocks and plants.

Horrified for a moment, you wondered if Josh had been able to flush the poor fish down the toilet yet. You certainly didn't want to do that, but you would if you had to.

"Baby, where are you?" you called as you walked into Josh's place, the door unlocked either for you benefit or because he simply forgot amidst his mourning.

"Bedroom," Josh called back, sounding more despondent than you'd ever heard him before.

You grabbed the special chocolate you knew he liked–the fancy dark chocolate with chili–from the grocery bag as well as the bag of Milanos and bottle of chocolate milk. Not that eating was the healthiest way of coping but food seemed to work well for Josh when he was upset.

He was sitting on the edge of his bed, looking at the fish tank. You followed his eyes and saw that the blue betta fish was still there, floating, and you stopped yourself from emitting a noise of disgust. Instead you went to Josh and ruffled your hand through his hair as you placed the gifts next to him.

"I'm sorry, baby," you said softly.

He rested his head against your waist, wrapping his arm around you. "It's okay, Y/N. I knew she was gonna go someday."

Josh's love for all creatures was something you admired and adored so much. He was so absolutely full of love and seeing him sad made you sad; you would do anything to make him feel better, including flush the fish if needed.

"Do you need me to, uh, take care of her?" you asked, softly again, not wanting to make Josh more upset.

He quickly looked up at you. "I want to bury her."

Bury...a fish. You nodded–anything for Josh. "Okay," you said. "Got a little box for her?"

Josh got up and went to his dresser. He took small wooden box from on top and opened

it, taking out some jewelry. "I made this in woodshop in high school," he told you. "I don't really need it. And at least it's biodegradable."

After his fish was scooped up and placed in the box, you both went outside. Josh dug a small hole in a patch of dirt next to some violets with a spoon ("I never thought I'd need a shovel" he said), his brow furrowed the entire time, and placed the box inside the hole, scooping the dirt back over it and patting it.

"Rest in peace, Amphitrite," he said, placing his hand over his heart with a sigh. "You surpassed all expectations. I hope you find a nice, new home in the sea."

"Freshwater, right?" you asked, nudging his arm.

Josh laughed a little. "Ah, right. Wherever, Amphitrite. You were good company."

You knelt down and plucked some violets to place on the little mound of dirt. "Bye, Amphitrite."

Back inside, Josh finally noticed the different chocolate goods on his bed. "Oh, you're so sweet," he said, opening the chocolate milk and taking a sip. He was already getting more color back in his cheeks. "You really know what makes me feel better."

You sat down next to him. "I'm sorry, Josh. She was cute, really."

He nodded. "She was. I'm sorry, though, I know she's just a fish–"

"No, don't be. I love the fact that she's so important to you," you replied, running your fingers through his hair. "I don't love that you're sad, but–you feel so much, Josh. I love that about you."

He smiled at you, a little mustache of chocolate milk on his upper lip. "I love you being here."

You tilted his chin up with your fingers and kissed him. "I'm happy to be here," you assured him, licking your lips. "I'd do anything for you."

"Can you do me a favor?" he asked, looking at you all puppy-eyed.

You kissed his forehead. "Anything, baby."

"Can you put on some music? Anything you want."

You smiled–you loved him so much. "Absolutely," you said and got up, going over to Josh's collection of vinyls and skimming your fingers over them. You chose one you knew Josh loved, one that might be of even more comfort to him, and put it on before getting back on the bed.

I've been lately thinking

About my life's time

All the things I've done

And how it's been

And I can't help believing

In my own mind

I know I'm gonna hate to see it end

He gave you a look, his eyes big and soft and lips pouted a little, and you knew exactly what he needed then. You got on your side and Josh joined you, sighing as you wrapped your arms around him and pressed yourself against his backside, nuzzling the back of his neck.

"This is a good album," he said, reaching his hand back and stroking your hair. "You always know."

"I try," you replied and smoothed your hands over his chest. "You're so lovely, Josh. So kind and lovely."

He kissed your hand. "I try, Y/N."

You rested your chin on his shoulder. "Need anything else?"

Josh hummed and sat up, reaching down the bed for the bag of Milanos. You sat up too and moved back against the pillows to prop yourself up, spreading your legs, and Josh sat back against you. You closed your legs around him and he rested his head back on your chest.

"Want one?" he asked you, tearing open the bag.

"Sure," you answered and he held one up, which you took in your teeth, making him giggle.

Josh settled back into you, stroking your leg as he chewed. "Thanks for coming over. You're fantastic."

You kissed the top of his head. "Are you gonna get another fish?"

"Maybe. Probably," he answered, biting into another Milano. "Would you look for one with me?"

You traced your fingertip down the curve of his ear. "Yeah, definitely. Another betta?"

"I think the fish just has to come to me, you know?" Josh explained. He was talking with his hands again–a good sign. "There has to be that connection."

You stifled a giggle. "That makes sense. Well, we can definitely look, whenever you're ready."

Josh turned to you, excitement suddenly beaming across his face. "Would you get a fish with me? They could live together here."

You couldn't hold back the little laugh then. "That might be cute."

Josh gently coerced you down and kissed you. "I think it'd be wonderful," he said, then nuzzled back against your chest. "Superb."

You wrapped your arms over his chest and squeezed him a little, more than content to have him cradled in your arms and John Denver playing around you after such a trying day for him. You would bet that if there was an afterlife for fish, Amphitrite was having the time of her life.