8 To hell and back

*Trigger warning: physical abuse.

Song for the mood: Love The Way You Lie by Eminem, featuring Rihanna. Here's a snippet:

And right now there's a steel knife in my windpipe
I can't breathe, but I still fight, while I can fight.

And right now there's a steel knife in my windpipeI can't breathe, but I still fight, while I can fight

Sapphire

January 1, one a.m.

"Go away, Cameron," I muttered, before returning his text message with a simple reply.

Happy New Year, Cam! Wish you all the best.

He responded with another text:  Can I come to you? I miss your beautiful face.

Booty call. Nope, I was not going there.

I'm kinda with someone tonight. See you at church on Sunday.

Okay then. See you on Sunday, he wrote back.

Like the prodigal son, Cameron returned to church life after his accident. His folks and mine were close friends, so it was inevitable that I would see him from time to time.

I meant it when I wished Cam the best. He and I once had something special, but that was over. We rekindled a friendship, but he wasn't particularly important to me anymore.

"C'mon, let's take the elevator down," Mindy prompted, reminding me that we needed to get some sleep.

"Sure, let's go," I replied.

Our heels clicked on the marble tiles toward the elevators. We had just missed the last lift, which Julian and Jessie had taken. I caught a glimpse of them as the doors closed, and couldn't help but feel a twinge of envy.

A few exhausted partygoers were waiting for the lift with us, including one barefoot, inebriated woman who boisterously complained that the fairies stole her shoes.

"Is there a mirror in your panties, babe? I think I see myself in them." Some boozy slimeball suddenly grabbed me from behind, who whispered the corny line into my ear.

In response, I instinctively swirled to face the perpetrator and stomped on his foot hard with my stiletto heel.

"Oww, you frigging bitch! You're so ugly no one would touch you anyway!" Slimeball yelped in pain, hobbling away.

"Are you alright?" Mindy asked me, frowning with concern.

"Yeah, I'm fine. You know, the princes of this party turned into pumpkins after midnight." I rolled my eyes at the pitiful sight of drunkenness.

Just as the elevator doors opened again, I noticed Vera storm out of the club with Ace following her, shouting obscene profanities.

"Mindy, you go ahead. I'm going to help Vera," I instructed.