Chapter 16: Condoms, Birth-Control, and Derek's eyes

Start from the beginning

I sat on the stage, waiting for everyone to come in. I hadn't told anyone about Garrett and I, and I hoped that he didn't either.

Silver came in first. Her face was heated and she looked upset. I tilted my head to the side as her footsteps echoed off of the theater walls. She pressed her hands to the top of the stage, and slung her long legs onto it. She stared at me for a moment, as if I were some kind of interesting bug then flung herself closer to me.

"How could you not tell me!? How could you!? And you're supposed to be the leader of some...some purity club?" My eyes widened. She knew? Wait, how could she know?

"What are you on about, Silver?" My nose twitched as a smell hit my nose. It smelled terrible, and it didn't exactly give me the best feeling. My stomach churned. I began to feel sick.

"You had sex with Garrett!" Silver nearly screamed it as Andromeda walked in. She froze in the doorway. I stood up and pushed the twin out of the way, looking at Drom.

"No! It's not what you-"

"You...You...slept with him?" Even from a far, I could see her eyes filling with ears, and her heart being torn out for a second time by the one and only, Winnie Shy.

“Andromeda! Drom! Come back here!" I yelled. I was about to go after her when my stomach lurched again. "Shit..." I hissed, running for the bathroom instead.

I looked around for a bathroom, but I didn't find one in time. I grasped a trashcan and puked into it constantly before wiping my mouth. Must be coming up with the flu. Damn.

Silver was right behind me, staring at me. "You didn't use a condom...What the hell is wrong with you, Winnie?" I looked up at her as pushed myself up, tensing. "You're not the person I thought you were.” Then she walked away.

"Silver, come back...Please...I need you." It was too late, she was gone...I knew that I was about to lose the friendship of each and every one of the people that I cared about the most, and I didn't want to let that happen.

**

"Welcome to meeting numero dos, blah...blah...blah." Nora was seated beside me, Landon across from her. Silver was seated beside Kyle, Andromeda nowhere in sight. I was surprised to see Garrett there, and Derek sitting next to him. My stomach turned. I was beginning to feel tired.

Nora's brother, Aaron sat beside her, along with Lexi next to Aaron. Clark had decided to join us too, which didn't make me smile too much. Tuesday was to my other side.

"I thought we'd um...Get to know each other a little more today..." I trailed off and let my eyes lock with Nora's.

"Guys you're up, none of that 'ladies first' crap. Tell us why you're here and we'll pretend to listen," Nora responded, putting her arms behind her head. Her eyes seemed to be glaring at Landon, the same as Garrett's eyes glared at me. I tried to ignore them but I couldn't.

Nora nudged her brother and he turned red. "Um...I'm Aaron Evans, I guess." He mumbled, crossing his arms. "I'm here because my sister's ma-"

An elbow drove into his side and he cursed. "I mean, because I um...I believe in abstinence."

I nodded flashing a halfhearted smile at him. I looked down as Derek stood up with a slight smile. "I'm here," his eyes lay on me, and my heart pounded. I shook my head at him, knowing what he was about to say, and hoping it wasn't what I suspected, "because I believe in the same. And I'm Derek Knightly...I"

A large weight lifted from my back, until Garrett stood up next. "Name's Garrett Greene. I'm here to confess. Two weeks ago, I had sex with Winnie Shy.”

My heart leaped out of its socket as I stared at him in awe. Tears filled my eyes as they locked with Derek's, then Garrett's. I didn't know what to do, let alone what to say. I stood up and whispered. "I hate you...I knew you were just another one of those players! I should never have trusted you...." Yes, they burst. The tears streamed down as I ran off of the stage.

"You're lying, asshole. What the hell was that about? Trying to pin your dirty deeds on Winnie...she wouldn't. Not with the likes of you." I heard Nora yelling at Garrett. I was sure that everyone knew now that he'd just said this. I walked out of the theater and stopped outside, letting out a loud sob.

"Lord, help me." I knew I was some kind of cry baby; you didn't have to tell me that. I glanced back at the theater, and then started walking. I didn't know where I was going, and I didn't even care at all.

I closed my eyes as I walked through the cold air. I didn't have time to stop before I smacked into a hard chest. "Oof!" I fell back onto my bum, and looked up to find Derek. I stared at him. I could see every inch of sadness in his eyes and every muscle showing beneath his gray t-shirt. I wanted him to hold me again and tell me that everything was going to be okay, because right now, I didn't believe anything was going to be okay. I needed him.

Derek's long arm extended, his hand opening in front of me. It took me a moment to realize that he was offering it to me. When I did, I placed my own hand in his larger one, and allowed him to pull me up. "I'm so sorry, Derek...I'm sorry, please forgive me. I just...."

"Shh, shh...." Derek's arms wrapped around me, and I was crushed to his chest. I closed my eyes slowly. "I'm sorry too...I...I shouldn't have said that stuff...I didn't mean it." And for some reason, I believed him. I mean, he was around Brenan right? Maybe it was all him.

I didn't completely convince myself.

"Will you ever forgive me for doing such a horrible thing to you?" His blue eyes met my green. I pressed all of my love into this one glance, and that was all he needed to know.

"I love you, Winnie. I could never...ever hurt you...or leave you." Ouch. That hurt in a way, but it was also what I wanted to hear. He loved me.

"I love you too, Derek." My cheeks heated as our eyes met once again. He leaned down, letting his black locks fall over his face. His fingers ran through my red hair before he kissed me for the first time in two weeks. His lips were moist, and they had the same delicious taste that I remembered.

**

The next morning, I felt bloated. Derek had spent the night with me. No, not doing what I'd done with Garrett, he just held me all night until I'd fallen asleep. I groaned in pain, rubbing my stomach. I pushed myself up, storming into the kitchen, and pulling out what I thought was turkey. I hoped it was.

My cell phone rang after I put the turkey into the microwave. I plucked open my phone and put it to my ear. "Hello?"

"Winnie! Oh, Winnie, I missed you! Why haven't you called me? Am I nothing to you? Your big sister?" Kendra's squeaky voice sounded loudly. I giggled, my lips curling into a smile.

"Hey, Ken, how're you?"

Kendra scoffed. She was probably shaking her head over the phone. "I'm fine! How're you? Have you given it up yet? Oh-my-gosh, I have to tell you about Liam! He's so wonderful! I think I'm in love sissy!"

I snorted. This was the typical Kendra. She'd call me, talk nonstop about some guy, and ask me if I was still a virgin.

"No, I'm not. And tell me about your new guy. What is this, the 500th?" I took my turkey out of the microwave and devoured it in three bites.

"Shut up, Win! He's wonderful - wait! You said no! You said no, tell me everything! Details! Who is it? You better have used a condom! Are you on birth control?"

I paused for a moment after she stopped talking. "It was a mistake. Can we talk about something else?"

Kendra sighed. "Mom and me are coming to see you soon, so be ready."

We talked for a while. In that time, I had eaten: Turkey, a can of ravioli, and drank a bottle of water. Once I'd hung up with my sister, I sighed and lay on the bed. I was truly tired for some reason. Why? I didn't know. I soon drifted off into a deep sleep, not caring that it was only 3 in the afternoon.