(25)

Hinata sat on the sidelines staring off into space. No one knew how to approach him, afraid of him running off. But Hinata's eyes were so dull and lifeless. His mask kept slipping. Eventually, Hinata grew tired of the stares and took out his hoodie to put it on. At least it gave him some comfort.
Soon enough, practice was over and the team was sent off to change before school started. Hinata just scurried off to homeroom trying to keep out of everyone's view. This is why he didn't want them to know about what was happening to him at home.
They would treat him like some kid, but Hinata wasn't a kid, he had been through so much for so long that at certain points he didn't even think he could still be a human. But when Hinata has thoughts like this, he has to remind himself that he is human. He is a person who deserves happiness, or at least that's what Dani would say to him.
Hinata's concern for Dani never left, in fact it only grew.
Why wasn't she talking to him?
Was it something that he said? Something that he did?
Hinata's steps to his homeroom quickened as his emotions started to grow out of control.
Is she okay? Is she in trouble??
God! Why wouldn't she just talk to him!!?
Hinata froze in the middle of the hallway, his fists tightened at his side.
He didn't understand. He wanted to so badly but it didn't make sense. He wanted her to trust him like he trusts her. But he could t just force someone to trust him. She'll come around eventually and tell him what was happening, she always does. Maybe she just takes longer talking to people about uncomfortable stuff, that must be it.
His fists unclenched and he began to walk again.

However, during Hinata's small emotional breakdown, he was so focused on Dani that he failed to notice Kageyama, Yamaguchi and Tsukkishima enter the first year hallway behind him. They chose not to say anything to their troubled friend as they wanted to see what he was doing.
Sharing a look at each other they nodded, knowing that they had to be the ones to look after Hinata that day.
They didn't know what was going on with him but they needed him to know that he wasn't alone.

Throughout the day, Hinata never really spoke unless spoken to. At least that's what Tsukkishima noticed. If a classmate would bump into him and apologize Hinata would say that it was okay but if they didn't realize they had bumped into him Hinata would just take it.
This seemed like unusual behavior for the Hinata he knew. In the gym if someone bumped into him he would sometimes joke around and ask if they wanted to fight him. But this Hinata was different. He would turn one way and laugh with his classmates and then within practically the same second he would be turned the other way completely devoid of all emotion.
It was almost frightening to see how easy it was for Hinata to fake his emotions. How long had he been practicing? Apparently long enough that it came completely naturally to him. Tsukkishima just knew it wasn't sociopathic or psychopathic behavior because he had seen Hinata experience real emotion. This behavior seemed forced but not completely fake.

Before they knew it, the bell signaling the end of the day was sounded and the class all got up and began packing their things.
Hinata on the other hand was struggling to rush out of the classroom. Too many people were getting in his way and he couldn't get out fast enough. Suddenly he heard someone calling his name.
"Hey, Hinata!" Kageyama called out to him.
Hinata turned around as his volleyball teammates walked up to him.
"Come walk with us to the club room."
It was more of an order than a request but Hinata followed regardless.

Entering the club room, some of the second and third years were already inside changing for their afternoon practice. Hinata sat on a chair seeing as he still couldn't play. He checked his phone while the team carried on a conversation.
You have zero (0) new messages.
Damn.

Hinata finally tuned into the conversation once he heard his name being called.
"Sorry?"
"Parents are the worst right?? I'm still grounded from that party I threw. I don't even have my video games!" Noya said shaking his head and crosses his arms.
"Yeah my parents are really strict, one time I forgot to text them that I had arrived to school and they came here and wouldn't leave until they saw me even though the office had assured them I was in school." Suga said laughing and scratching the back of his head.
"What about you Hinata? What are your parents like? I don't think I've ever met them." Noya asked curiously.

Hinata's heart practically dropped to his feet.
"O-oh... well my mom is really nice and kind. She always took care of me and all that mom stuff. My dad is...mean." Hinata trailed off not wanting to say any more.
"O-oh well I'm sorry your dad and you don't get along, you seem like you're a lot closer with your mom then huh?" Suga asked smiling kindly. He realized that Hinata probably didn't want to talk about his dad. He wondered why he and his father didn't get along but didn't want to pry.
"Y-yeah we wer- are really close! What about you Tanaka-senpai?" Hinata quickly turned the conversation away from his personal life, afraid that the team would notice his slip up in choice of words.
The conversation continued, but Hinata didn't bother to pay attention to the rest of it. He was more concerned with Dani.
He took out his phone and sent her yet another text, and to his dismay, none of his other texts had been replied to yet.

Soon, the team made their way down to the gym all changed and ready for practice. All except Hinata who was as sullen as ever.

Daichi and Suga held back from the others, flashing a knowing look at the other.
Once the team had made their way out of earshot, they began to speak in hushed voices.
"When Hinata was talking about his parents did you catch what he said?" Daichi asked.
"Yeah he was about to say that he and his mom were very close...but then he changed to are...I don't know what to think Daichi."
"Well that and when he said that his dad was 'mean', I would get it if he said strict or uptight but...using the word mean is very telling...."

The captain and co captain stood in silence attempting to process the new information they had learned.
"Well, let's head down and we can talk about this later. If Hinata's in trouble we have to help him."
Suga nodded his head, brows furrowed.
'If Hinata really were in trouble, why is he going through so much effort to hide it? We're his teammates after all...' he thought.
Practice continued normally, spiking practice, receiving practice and many many drills.

Every now and again, members of the team would sneak a look at Hinata, wondering to themselves what was going on with him.
His mask was gone now, and he was completely and utterly miserable. He didn't know that Dani not texting him or talking to him would cause him so much grief. He didn't know that anyone but his father could make him feel so upset.

Suddenly someone burst through the door, opening it like their life depended on that door to the gymnasium being wide open.
It was Dani!
Her breathing was irregular and shallow as if she had sprinted all the way to the gym.
However something was off...she had a black eye and a split lip.
Her eyes frantically searched the gym until they landed on Hinata.
She cried out and reached for him, but he was a step ahead of her arms already spread open.

No one else knew how to react to the situation occurring in front of them.
Dani cried and cried and cried into Hinata's shoulder, somehow managing to squeak out that her mom had smashed her phone. The rest was unintelligible blabber, she was too erratic to tell why she had been beaten up.
Hinata didn't know what to say, so he just held her in his arms, holding back tears of his own.

Practice had stopped completely. Everyone's eyes were glued on the pair at the door. Finally, Daichi was about to approach Dani when her breathing slowed and she went crashing to the floor.
Thankfully Hinata was right there so he caught her before she could further injure herself.

The gym was silent.

No one knew how to react.
No one except Hinata.

"Kiyoko-san please get a cool towel to put on her forehead." It was one of the only times Hinata had spoke that day, and his voice was surprisingly calm and authoritative.
As the club manager did this, Hinata removed his own hoodie and put it on the floor so Dani could lie on it.
Meanwhile, Daichi and Suga went to Hinata's side to help with the unconscious girl.

The others in the gym were frozen. They all saw her black eye and lip. They all saw how panicked she was and how relieved she looked when she finally locked eyes with Hinata.

No more waiting around for Hinata to come to them, they were going to demand answers.
After all, a team is honest with each other...right?

Hey everyone! Sorry this chapter took so long! I hope you enjoy!!❤️❤️