V | The Companions

KENNETH

"What took you so long? You're so late that even the sun burnt out," joked Ramsay as the sky began to turn. The Rogs are not patient with latecomers, he thought.

Staring at the ceiling of the devoured vault of heaven, Ken walked towards Elder Dawson's olden bakery shop. Although it was secluded in a quiet alley, it somehow was always crowded and bombarded with hungry Amorians.

The smell of Dawson family's bakery had been known to travel across the boundaries of Amor, attracting even the hunters in the Alorian Woods. Today, however, the famous store was empty. It was probably because of the dark scary clouds, engulfing the light above the sky.

"Sorry, I was held up," Kenneth apologized.

"By what? The clouds?" Ramsay asked in a peculiar manner.

Ken shared the story of the deathorse and Ramsay was amazed, "A bloody dead horse that is alive?!" Scratching the tip of his nose, Ramsay listened closely with his ears wide, next to his brother, Charles. Although the Dawson brothers lived atop of a bakery, having their smell scent as sharp as a wolf, their nose were ridiculously round and small. Their genetics betrayed the both of them as brothers because their brown frizzy hair was almost identical to each other's.

Charles had always been the logical one out of the three. He wasn't buying his tale and thought he was just fooling around. "Cool story but I'll have to see that dead horse myself to believe it," he said as he switched his attention away from the two.

"Never mind him, Ken. Charles is just being stubborn as usual." Mocking his brother was his everyday routine. 

Ignoring his little brother, Charles Dawson uttered as he took his battle axe from the old cabinet under the freshly baked apple pies. "We have to start packing for our journey." Holding his huge battle axe, Charles remembered the day he had gotten it as a gift from Ramsay. He admired the axe one last time before slotting it into a sack.

"Don't be too excited, brother. We have nearly seven days left!" Ramsay chuckled as he slapped Charles on his back. He walked towards Kenneth and asked, "Did you get the map?"

"Took me quite some time. I had to look through every single chests to find it," Ken replied. "But thank the Rogs that I had found it. If not, it would have cost us five silver coins."

"That's literally a week worth of income of selling breads! I would rather trade my dirk for one. Where is it?" Ramsay offered his grimy hand to take the map from Ken.

Although Ramsay worked in a bakery, he was often grubby, covered with filthy dirt. Truth was, he was more of a merchant than a baker. He was well known as a coin trader, but some locals said he was a scammer. Trading an ordinary rock for an emerald was what he did on a daily basis. Every item on the Sevi Lands had its price and Ramsay Dawson knew them all.

"Here." Ken handed the map to him. It was no ordinary map - a map that was traded with a priceless Amorian halva, whom Kenneth and Ramsay once met in the streets. 

"Wow, I forgot it looked like this!" Ramsay uttered in amazement. Despite trading in the streets for almost a decade, Ramsay had never come across with a map. It was rumored that the former king, King Lexus Auburn burnt all the maps in Amor to keep Amorians from running away to a better kingdom. The Kingdom of Alora.

"Let me have a look too," Charles spoke with a serene face. A year older than both Kenneth and Ramsay, Charles was the eldest grandson of Elder Dawson and the only one who took care of his family's bakery. He had tanned skin, just like majority of the locals blessed by the Gods of fire. Brown eyes, like the typical Amorian kid playing in the streets. By the looks of his physique, he was significantly more masculine than Ken, stronger too.

Despite all the differences, Ken and Charles had one thing in common. They had always wanted to be a knight. Unfortunately, not every man had the golden opportunity to be a squire, moreover a knight. Charles did not.

"We depart at dawn on the Long Way towards east, then head north when we see the red trees. We will take shelter once we meet the nearest tribe. Hopefully, we will reach Redwood Village in two days," Charles uttered confidently as his index finger guided his talk along the old drawn map. He had never set foot outside the gates of Amor, but he had visualized the adventure for countless of times in his brain for years.

"Are you sure you want to do this, Ken? Will it be okay? What if you had remembered?" Ramsay canvassed assertively with curiosity. His eyes widened as his brown pupils diluted, waiting for a brilliant reply.

"Yes, I am sure of it. Well, I don't have a choice either. The King demanded for me to remember the truth." Kenneth lost a little confidence as he uttered. "I want to know my origins as well... After all, a man without history is an empty paper without ink."

"How about your father? You'll no longer be a Venetian ---"

Kenneth interrupted with a tone of certainty. "Even if I am no longer a Venetian, father would still be my father at heart."

"Well, if you ain't a Venetian, you'll be a false knight," the older brother, Charles reminded with a deep dull voice. The sound of his was covered with a tint of jealousy.

"Well... I guess you're right. But first, I have to be a knight in ---"

"Wait a second! Isn't today your day of ignition?! Don't you have an accolade to attend later?!" With full exhilaration, Ramsay was over the top, squeaking like a child. It was the day they had been waiting for. 

Charles blurted, "Finally you're no longer your father's squire, huh?"

Ken was delighted of course, to be a knight of Amor. Unfortunately, the thought of the trip to Redwood Village came afterwards, causing him to be uncertain. "Speaking of that, my father expects me to be at the castle by dusk. The accolade starts by then."

"Can we both join?" Ramsay begged Ken desperately, although knowing that he couldn't, as he was in no position to enter. Ramsay tried smuggling goods out of the castle several times but was caught by the royal guards on each and every attempt.

"I'm sorry, I asked father about it but he wouldn't let ---" Kenneth apologized as his brows fell downwards.

"Too plebby for the lords. I get it," Charles answered boldly for him without filter.

"Take it easy, Charles. Come on, it's his day!" Peeking at the menacing atmosphere covered by the darkness of the nimbus, Ramsay advised, "You have to be there by dusk? I can't tell what time is it, but you better get ready!"

"Don't forget your knightsword, Protector of Honor. Lord Lennin would have protested your knighthood if you are irresponsible, Ken," Charles reminded him, at the same time mocking him subtly.

"Okay, I won't forget. By the way, it's the Protector of Peace," Ken corrected his rival proudly.

"Good luck, Ken," Ramsay patted him on his shoulder.

With a stoned face, Charles chanted, "May the Rogs protect you."

His blood brother echoed, "May the Rogs protect you."