Chapter 3

Mary arrived at the school and stood in the office, staring down at her daughter clinging to the purse slung over her shoulder as if the tiny strap was keeping her tethered to the surface of the planet. She was quiet for a long time before she finally spoke. "I blame your father. You got his temper." Sunny cast an angry glance up at her. "He was never good at controlling it, either. At least you're just a child." The door to the principal's office opened, and Mary met the administrator's gaze as she entered.

The door closed. Their voices could be heard, but Sunny couldn't understand what was being said. She looked down at her feet ashamed of who she was, and for a moment she hated her mother for saying something mean about her father. She hated her father for not being a better man.

Mary and Sunny were leaving the building, the sun was bright off the snow. Sunny's future at the school had been discussed. For today she was going home, coming back tomorrow to meet with the school's phycologist to address her anger and get at the root of it all. According to the counselor, Sunny was a sensitive little girl who was unable to process her feelings alone.

Shuffling along the walk towards the curb, Sunny threw her head back in a loud groan, trying to release her frustrations. Emotionally, she had enough for one day, and the thought of returning to this building and being surrounded by these people made her feel sick and uncomfortable. It would have made her day to know that she wouldn't have to come back, but the rest of the world was resigned to let her suffer.

"Homeschooling!" Spinning around, she looked at her unamused mother. "I just want to throw that out there. You could homeschool me." Trying to read her mother's reaction, there was none other than a cold, tired stare of a woman who was done for the day. Turning back around, Sunny hopped the curb to the gutter. "Damn," she mumbled.

They crossed the street and stood in front of the church where the station wagon was parked. "Send me back to Germany then. I can live with Dad." Her mother jerked the car door open with a significant amount of force, gritting her teeth. Sunshine could see the anger seething from her.

"That's not the way this works!" Mary's voice cracked, and a tear of frustration leaked from her eye. "Get in the fucking car."

Fumbling with the handle, Sunny tried not to let her own anger get the better of her again. Slowly she swung the heavy door open watching a chunk of street filth filled ice drop from under the frame as she did so.

"Mary?" A deep male voice boomed out from across the street. A tall man in a long camel coat and grey fedora stood on the side of the road, watching. Mary looked up, and any sign of frustration was replaced by a look of surprise.

"Kevin?"

He quickly trotted across the street and embraced her in a tight hug. Sunny looked on in contempt, leaning against the car door. She had no idea who he was, but evidently, he knew her mother.

"I was so sorry to hear about Ed. I wanted to come, but I was out of town for business, and it just wasn't feasible. I've just been sick about it." Nodding, she broke away, patting his chest still biting on tears that were forming.

"It's okay. Just happy to see you again." Avoiding his direct gaze, she looked everywhere else on him but his face.

He looked at Sunny. "Your daughter?" he asked. Sunny was disgusted, feeling it should have been an obvious answer.

"Yeah. She got into a fight at school today, and she's mad at me."

Before her Mary finished speaking, Sunny sat inside the auto and slammed the door closed, staring daggers at Kevin. Mary started talking with her hands, small gestures. Sunshine knew she did that when she was embarrassed. In this case, embarrassed by her. Cranking down the window a little so she could listen, she kept scowling at the pair.

"So, did the husband finally get out and you moved back here?" he asked.

Mary shook her head. "Half right. Moved back here, but the husband is still in."

"Oh, damn. Sorry."

Waving off his concern, she smiled under the discomfort of the subject. "You know what... It's okay. He's a bastard, and this was a long time coming."

He seemed surprised by her candor and nodded. "Well, if you need anything, let me know." Reaching into his pocket, he produced a business card and a pen. Taking a moment, he scribbled on the back. "Work number on the front, home on the back." He offered it to her, and she accepted. "And really, actually call me. I am not a living cliché here. I mean it."

"Thanks, Kevin." He gave her his most charming smile, and she returned it. Climbing into the car, she slipped the card into her wallet and back into her purse. Sunshine put her window up and stared at her in frosted silence.

"Look at me like that all you want, little girl. You're the one in trouble here. I will not be made to apologize for talking to an old friend. Those days of control are behind me." She started the car and turned up the heat. "Gone for you too."

"I don't like him."

"He was a friend of your uncle's. They grew up together."

Sunny thought about what it might have meant, but it didn't change her discomfort. This was about a man trying to romance his way back in the absence of her father. It was about a man reconnecting with his friend's family after his death.

"I think we should have him over for dinner. He could tell you some really good stories about Uncle Ed." Her smile became sad, and Sunshine laid over the seat to rest her head on her mother's lap.

"I'm sorry." The anxiety melted as she stroked her daughter's hair. "Tomorrow will be a better day."