c h a p t e r 1 1

t h e   f i r s t            muggle born was found that night

t h e   f i r s t
           muggle born was found that night. It was for her, the only apology Tom could ever give.

Linda Smith was petrified.

She was lying next to her friend Barbra's bedside. Her mouth was open in an eternal scream. Her fingers clutched so firmly around the bedrail that the professors had to break each digit to remove her.

Tom sat back and watched with satisfaction when the professors gathered the students to announce the incident the next day before canceling classes. It wasn't the brightest move on the professors' part, as the news only sent the great hall into a panic. Tom had caused the chaos with his power over the Basilisk. He felt worthy of the uproar.

His eyes searched for Evelyn in the worried students, half expecting her to have skipped the summons altogether. Then, his eyes caught on her lilac ones. She was staring at him with that ever-present all-knowing look. His expression didn't change, she should know now that he was sorry for the day before. He was crueler than intended. He didn't know he would hurt himself in being so.

Her lips turned into a sneer as she turned and left the great hall, the clear dismissal of his apology clear. His triumphant grin turned into a scowl. How dare she not accept this obvious gift?

He turned from the door and stared at his empty plate in annoyance. She couldn't stay mad at him forever. She would come around, he was sure of it.

***

He had been wrong. Evelyn had not forgiven him, nor had she cared to acknowledge that he even existed for weeks. She rarely attended class and when she did, she would sit next to Avery, leaving Tom with Malfoy.

She talked to Avery freely and sometimes would turn to talk to Malfoy, but not Tom. She made it seem as if he was nonexistent. Tom had never known something could irritate him so greatly in his life.

This game of hers clearly became boring to her after Tom had threatened death on his followers if they participated. She stopped showing up to class altogether after that.

The professors didn't seem worried about her even after January passed. When he asked Professor Slughorn if something was wrong with her, he simply laughed. "Wouldn't you know more than me, boy? Or are there some relationship issues you need to talk through?"

It had taken Tom a week to pull himself together and ask about Evelyn because he didn't want it to seem like he cared about where she had gone. With that answer, he had to hide the scowl and the sudden heat that rose up his neck. He turned around and thought about how he would get away with killing a professor instead. It calmed him a bit.