Chapter Eight: Superhero Sidekick Turns Villain

I set my pizza down my plate, suddenly not very hungry anymore. I didn’t feel very welcome. Scratch that; I didn’t feel like I fit in. They were all talking about their upcoming videos, sketches, gameplays, and (in Jack’s case) Your Grammar Sucks. In addition to that, Sean would give me suspicious looks every now and then. I stared down at my food, a frown on my face.

“Bella?”

I looked up into Toby’s eyes, full of worry and concern.

“You’re… okay, right?” He asked.

I dropped my gaze down again and muttered a quiet, “Yes.”

“We could play Tekken like we did last time.” He suggested.

I shook my head.

“Toby, she’s probably not up to do much of anything. She’s still hurt from last night.”

I gave Kristin a small smile, which she returned.

“Right.” Toby said, looking down at his bread sticks.

“Well, things just got quite awkward…” Jack added in to the conversation.

Sean suddenly stood up and glared at me. “Let’s talk, Isabella.” He said.

Confused, I got up and followed Sean into Toby’s computer room. He closed the door behind us and turned to me.

“What are you hiding?”

I stared at him, taken aback. “W-what?”

“You know what. You’re hiding something. What is it?”

“I’m not hiding anything!”

“Toby’s a good friend and I don’t want him getting hurt.”

“I’d… I’d never hurt him. I’d practically risk my life for that man.”

“That’s what anyone would say if that person had saved their life.”

I glared at Sean. “No. You don’t understand. If that man in there wanted the fucking moon, I’d find a way to get it for him. I would do anything for Toby, no matter what he’s done for me or did to me.”

Sean opened the door, but before he walked out, he leaned down next to my ear and whispered, “Whatever you say. But I know you’re hiding something. Something’s just not right about you. And believe me, I’ll find out what.”

I was left standing in the room alone, completely aghast by what Sean had said and done. Sean had always given me this feeling over the internet that he was the nice guy. He was sweet and funny and… totally opposite of how he’d just acted. Jack… Now he was the one I would have expected that from. But it had happened the complete opposite way.

I sighed and dropped myself into Toby’s computer chair, cringing as the pain hit my back. I’d never hurt Toby. I don’t know who possibly could. He’s just too… perfect. I lay my head in my hands and let my tears out. Tears for what had almost happened last night if Toby hadn’t been there to save me, tears for being all alone in a house full of strangers, and tears for wanting to go home.

Toby’s Point Of View

I watched Sean walk back into the kitchen, expecting Bella to be trailing behind. But she wasn’t.

“Where’s Bella?”

“Why?”

“I just… want to know.”

“In your computer room.”

I got up and walked to the door. It was closed. I knocked. “Bella?” No response. I pushed the door open and found her crying in my chair.

“Bella, what’s wrong?” I asked worriedly, making my way over to her and putting my arms around her.

She shrugged me off and ignored me.

“What happened, Bella? Did Sean say something?”

I thought I saw her nod her head. “Oh, Bella…” I mumbled and picked her up so I could sit in the chair. I sat her on my lap and wrapped my arms around her, rocking her.

After a couple moments, I heard her sobbing start to quiet and took the chance to ask her my question. “What did Sean say to you?”

She looked up at me, her eyes glossy and her face red. “I can’t tell you.”

I smiled and shook my head, grabbing her wrists to stop her from putting her hands over her face again. “Bella, you can tell me anything.”

“No,” said her muffled voice. “It’s not that I can’t tell you. I don’t want to tell you.”

“But why not, my lovely noodle.” I asked, letting her wrists go and placing my hands on either side of her face.

Her lips twitched upwards, but only slightly, before it disappeared.

I grinned. “I saw that smile.”

She shook her head. “I didn’t smile.”

“Lies. You splutter lies, you evil woman.”

This time, there was no doubt about it, I saw the smile.

“There! I know for sure I saw it that time!”

“No!” she said and tried to release my hold on her.

I shook my head and let her fall back onto the floor, carefully, so that she wouldn’t get hurt. I got on top of her and poised my hands over her sides.

“No…” she said, eyes wide.

“Yes.” I said back, grinning evilly.

“Don’t you do it, Toby.”

“What? This?” I asked and latched my fingers onto her as I tickled her.

“No!” she screamed, laughing continuously. “Toby! Stop!” she cried, trying (but failing) to push me off her. “Toby… I can’t… breathe!” she laughed out.

I suddenly remembered that she was hurt. I stopped abruptly. “I’m sorry! I forgot you were hurt!”

She laughed, despite trying to catch her breathe. “I’m fine, Toby.”

Her looked into my eyes and smiled at me, causing her own eyes to light up. I was entranced by them. I stared into their beautiful blue-grey depths and almost completely lost myself. I hadn’t noticed that Isabella had lost her smile or that I was leaning ever so closer to her. My mind kicked into third gear, reminding me that it was way too soon. I hardly knew her. I jerked myself back from her and grunted as I got off of her and stood up. I held out a hand to her and she grabbed it, pulling her own self up.

“Thanks…” she mumbled, brushing Gryphon hair off the backside of her.

“Yeah…” I said, trying to avoid looking at her. I was looking anywhere. Anywhere but her eyes.

“I believe it would be time to return to your friends now, Toby.” She implied, hinting that things had gotten too awkward for us to be alone any longer.

“Right.” I replied, and held the door open for her. She walked out and back to the kitchen, where we all continued in awkward small talk. So much for returning to normal conversation…

--AN: I just want to mention this. I made a mistake in chapter three. I put Toby's HOUSE instead of Toby's APARTMENT. xD Yeah, sorry about that. I just realized. Anyway, moving on. Now, it is time for a Tobuscus classic.(: Can YOU swing your sword?--