Chapter Seventeen

Had Daniella reported me after what happened in the bathroom? It didn't make sense

Had Daniella reported me after what happened in the bathroom? It didn't make sense. What would she say, Olivia Peterson has magical powers? Daniella was far too image-conscious to let herself look that crazy.

Another stone collided with my window.

"Olivia, you need to get out of there," the person outside shouted. "Come with me."
Knowing the window was my best option, I strode towards it.

The boy stood below it shocked me to my core.

Ryan stood on the trampled grass in the same clothes he wore earlier. Fright rippled through me. He had followed me home.

"Is Liam with you?" I asked innocently.

He ignored the question.

"Olivia," Ryan called out to me. "Get down here now."

I was vaguely away that my mother had moved the police officers into our kitchen. I was even more conscious that they didn't appear to be leaving anytime soon.

"What's going on?" I asked. My voice shook. I didn't know which danger to focus on: Ryan or the police downstairs.

Ryan's reply was strained. "Do you want to waste time discussing it?"

Annoyingly, he made a very good point.

I was about to ask Ryan how to get down when my father entered through my bedroom door.

"They're in the kitchen. We don't have much time," he told me. His eyes flitted nervously around the room. "Come with me now."

"What's happening?" I whispered. "Why are the police here?"

He didn't speak.

"Dad? Why are they here?"

The police came to my house and were asking for me, and Ryan Murray of all people was trying to help me escape. That didn't suggest the coppers had barged into my house for innocent reasons.

Dad cast his eyes downward as he replied. "There was a fire at the Reese's place," he admitted. "They want to ask you a few questions."

I couldn't speak. My breaths grew too ragged for my mouth to form words. In the back of my mind, I knew I was hyperventilating.

"Olivia!" my father whispered my name. I could tell he wanted to shout it, but he knew as well as I did that we needed to be quiet.

"Now isn't the right time to have a panic attack."

"I need to speak to them," I gasped. "I need to clear my name."

His eyes hardened, and he strode forward to grasp my cheeks between his hands. "The Reese's want blood − your blood − and you need to leave. Now."

Ryan screamed for me to come down and join him, but I was frozen under my father's heavy stare.

"But, Dad! I'm innocent!"