c h a p t e r - s e v e n

I didn't pay attention to anything during dinner as I absent mindedly played with my dinner, moving it around the plate as my appetite had gone. Cole's touch had left a sense of heat on my body, something that made me tingle in the car ride to the dinner but that last look he gave me, well the one before the smirk, something about it left me unsettled.

'Cora? Are you okay?' I looked up to find my mom looking at me with concern. 'Is the ravioli okay?'

'Yeah, no I'm fine. The food is great I'm just a bit tired, don't worry.' I gave them a reassuring fake smile which they both returned before talking amongst themselves. I wasn't worried about that, I actually don't even know why I'm in this mood. There were no explanations what so ever, or any other explanation I haven't already given or said.

'I'll be right back.' My mother said, wiping the sides of her mouth before getting up and heading to the bathroom. Well, this won't be awkward now will it? I took small bites of my food as did Trent, but I felt like puking it all out when I felt his eyes on me. It was an awkward silence and I so badly wanted to break it but then what would I say?

'I know that you don't like me and your mother dating.' His words startled me and I found myself to look at him. He ate normally as if the sentence he just said was about the weather, the power radiated off him even though he wasn't looking at me or his eyes weren't on me and that frightened me.

'I did-'

'You don't have to explain yourself or say anything. It's your opinion and at the end of the day, your mom and I will still be dating no matter what you say, okay sweetie?' My mouth was gaped open like a fish, why the hell had he just said that?

'I don't care if you and my mom are dating, if you don't hurt her that's fine by me but if you do then my dad isn't a person you would like to get angry.' I warned him, suddenly feeling bold. What influence has Cole got on me?!

'I like that you're ...snappy. Your dad and I have been friends for years, he wouldn't think of hurting me and besides, your parents' are divorced so technically I don't think he would care. I intend to make your mother happy just as long as you keep your trap shut. Understood?' Before I could say anything, my mom had returned with a smile on her face and resumed eating, what the hell was that all about?

The anger in me spiked and bubbled but sadly and most unfortunately, there was nothing I could do. Not even the self-defence moves or any of the punches, kicks and hits that my dad showed me would help. I really wanted to ask mom if she could buy me a punching bag and if she did, I would take a picture of Trent's ugly face and punch it repeatedly just in case he ever does hurt mom.

'So mom, how did you and Trent meet?' I could tell that none of them expected me to open my mouth and most certainly didn't expect me to ask a question like that.

'W-well honey, I've known Trent since you were little and I bumped into him a couple weeks ago and it just started from there I guess.' Mom smiled uncomfortably at Trent but she tried her best to make it not show that she didn't want me talking about this.

'Are you a close friend of dad's?' I asked Trent. Spotting the little smirk on his face made me think that he had something up his sleeve or he liked me firing questions at the both of them; if he was a close friend of dad's though, how the hell could he bag mom? Especially since she and dad recently divorced.

'I and your dad grew up together, yes.' I was about to ask further questions when my mom stopped me abruptly. 'Why don't we talk about you Cora? How's school, make any new friends or have a boyfriend?' Her eyes held mischief, something I didn't like.

'I made a friend and no, no boyfriend and I don't plan to have one. You should know that mom, you should also know that if dad were to find out that I had or have a boyfriend then he will come down here and kick his ass. Imagine the blood, mom. Gruesome.' I said, smiling a little while shuddering. I could see the annoyance on mom's face but she cleared it up with a bright smile, pissing her off wasn't my idea it was something that would come up along the way. Dinner was going to be fun, I want dessert though.