Chapter-7

Aanya:

Critical!

Very less time!

Suicide!!

My mind was whirling with all these thoughts. I was going crazy. I wanted to move but I couldn't. It was as if my body was glued to this place. My eyes were filled with unshed tears.

A loud thunder made me jump out of my skin, bringing me back to the reality.

"Oh god! Oh god! Oh god!"

I kept mumbling to myself and ran down the stairs. My eyes were filled with tears making my vision blurry. My stole wrapped itself around my leg making my trip and fall down the staircase.

I groaned in pain as I tried to wake up. I touched my forehead and realised that I was hurt and bleeding. I hissed as a sharp pain shot through my head.

Everything was spinning. Everything was foggy. I laid there waiting for the world to stop spinning, waiting for the pain to subside. My tears were falling down freely and I couldn't even move my hand to wipe off my tears, which reminds me of how helpless I'm right now.

I laid there for several minutes forcing myself to stay conscious. I kept reminding myself that Hussein needs me right now and I have to go to the hospital as soon as possible. The thought of Hussein being critical made me weak but at the same time it was keeping me conscious.

After a little while, the world stopped spinning, my vision became clearer. I slowly got up, hissing occasionally because of the pain. I stood up and slowly took a step. I realised that my legs were shaking but I kept moving forward.

I made it to the main door and saw that it was pouring outside. I stepped out and directly went to Ruby's quarters. I was drenched by the time I reached their place. I kept banging the door.

"Ruby! Please open the door."

After a while, I heard a commotion from behind and then the door was opened.

"Ya Allah, What's wrong Aanya?" Ruby asked me looking at my disheveled state. She looked bewildered.

"Hussein, he...he is in the hospital."

"What?!"

"Yes, Ruby, he is in the hospital. I got a call from the hospital that he attempted suicide and is in critical condition," I replied.

"Suicide?!" Both Ruby and Kareem shouted in unison.

"Yes. He... he attempted suicide. I... I just don't know what to do," I said and wailed out.

Ruby came forward and hugged me as I cried my heart out.

"Let's take you to the hospital, Aanya. I'm sure there was mistake." Kareem said from behind.

I simply nodded. They took me to the car and helped me to sit in it. I was glad that Ruby was holding me all along. I sat in the car and asked Ruby to look after the babies'.

She nodded and then we left for the hospital. Kareem was driving very carefully as the heavy rain made it difficult to see where we were going. Kareem was silent. So was I. We did not exchange any words. The deadly silence was remaining me of Hussein's critical condition. And the thought which disturbed me the most was that he attempted suicide.

Why would he attempt suicide?!

Yes, he was disturbed from the past few days. But whatever the reason is, he would never take such an extreme measure. He is not a coward for God's sake!