44) The Laughter Pt.2

Start from the beginning

"Definitely, Puddin'!" Harley interjected lovingly before getting her hammer snatched from her by Batman and thrown to the concrete ground. "Ouch!"

Joker backed away as Batman pushed past Harley and began to gang up on him. "Hey, Sweets?"

"Mng?" The girl managed as she wobbly got up from the concrete ground. Her vision was swimming, and she felt a heavy trail of warm liquid drip down her temple and parts of her knee. Still, Joker needed her, and she could never let him down.

"Be helpful for once and chase the kid, won't ya?" The man asked, though it was more of a command than anything, really. "I think Batman will be more willing to comply if we play tag with the birdie. Hmm? Loser dies? Hehe!"

Harley swallowed down the hurt she felt both mentally and physically and bent down for her hammer. "You got it, Mistah J!" She announced determinedly. She dashed inside the building and started hunting down the boy.

Damn it, Batman thought. Things were getting more complicated now. Robin was in there, freeing the captives, on a time limit. Now he'd have to worry about Harley being on his tail. Batman needed to help his partner, but he contemplated what to do with Joker.

"I'm giving you one last chance to tell me how to deactivate the countdown," Batman warned through his teeth.

Joker cackled. "There is no way, Batsy! Would I lie to you?"

The Caped Crusader grabbed Joker by the hair and pushed him against the lemonade stand. "I'll snap you in half like a twig, Joker. I'm not playing around."

This only caused the psychopath to laugh louder and harder. "Oh but I am! And we both know that you wouldn't damage my body like that. No, not when the little birdie is here, and could accidentally witness the true brutal insanity within you!" He winced at the pulling at his roots, but his smile never faded. "And I'm sure he could use your help, but you'd rather be here with me? So sweet! I always knew I was special."

Batman had enough. Joker wouldn't reveal anything. If there was anything to reveal, that is. The frustrated vigilante gave the clown a firm hit to the back of the head, and didn't bother to watch as he crumbled to the ground, unconscious. He handcuffed Joker's right hand to a leg of the lemonade stand and went inside the building.

Robin was getting less anxious despite the fact that he had a constant reminder of what was to come everywhere he went. There were only a few people left to save. Of course he'd check the other rooms and sections just in case, but he didn't think there was anyone left. He'd hear cried for help if that weren't the case.

When he untied the second to last person, he heard someone walking towards him. He hoped it was Batman but didn't want to be unprepared, so he shushed the person in front of him, gestured for them to run, and got in position to fight if needed to.

It wasn't Batman.

"I hope you didn't forget about me!" The jester costumed girl exclaimed, breaking the silence that had rung in Robin's ears for a while now as she twirled her weapon in the air. Her face makeup was smudged in spots near the blood and crimson stained her suit around the knee. Robin couldn't help but feel a little concerned. That feeling quickly vanished when the woman sent her hammer flying towards his legs in an attempt to knock him off his feet. The child jumped into the air and kicked the weapon out of her hand. It went skidding across the floor and passed the dozens of shelves in the aisle.