xxxvi.

FIVE YEARS LATER !

LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA—

ezra coleman stood with her arms crossed, letting her gaze linger over the set for the music video she'd be directing that day. it was her first real solo job since she'd graduated college and there were great expectations for the project at hand.

the only thing she knew was what the group's manager had told her and sent her over email. she'd read over their expectations, their ideas, all of it and to say she was excited would've been an understatement.

"daddy, this is so cool!"

ezra nearly gave herself whiplash when she heard the child-like voice echo through the studio. there was a little girl, no older than four, glancing around the room with amazement shining brightly in her eyes.

"lina, what did i sa—" zion kuwonu cut himself short once his sight fell onto the woman just inches away from his daughter. "holy shit."

"daddy, that's a bad word." alina pouted towards the man before her gaze flickered back to ezra. "hey, i know you!"

ezra let out a chuckle, trying to ignore the heavy feeling she felt build on her chest. "you do?"

"there's pictures of you in daddy's nightstand, but don't tell him because he'll know i was being nosy." alina whispered, glancing to her father between her words.

"hey!" zion stepped forward, pulling alina behind him gently out of the embarrassment that he felt at the revelation. "it's no—"

"yo, ezra, i was not expecting to see you here!" nick came into the studio, speaking loudly despite the echo.

brandon deadpanned the boy, taking note that he, nor the rest of the boys, should ever let the mara boy in on anything.

"nick, shut up." edwin nudged the boy's shoulder. "it's a pleasure to see you again, ezra."

ezra looked from alina to the rest of the boys, the shock evident on her features. "well, isn't this a wonderful surprise?"

"your name is ezra?"

ezra subconsciously felt the smile tug at her lips at the sound of the child's voice. "yes."

"so, you are the girl daddy tells me stories about." alina smiled brightly. "daddy promised i'd meet you one day, but he always get sad if i ask him when."

"well, you're meeting me now." ezra could feel the piercing gaze of another, but she ignored it. as best she could, at least. "what's your name?"

"alina louise kuwonu." alina smiled brightly, showing off the missing front tooth she was sporting. "daddy picked it out."

ezra felt her eyes subconsciously flicker to zion at the mention of her middle name being the child's as well. the kuwonu already had his eyes on her.