Gloom

The water glimmered as the sun started to rise.

Kuna made his way towards the shore, a smile plastered on his face. It has been more than seven months since the goddess rescued him. Since then, they have progressed from strangers, to friends... to lovers. Life was now brighter than it had ever been for him.

His only fear, was that his secret would be revealed. Today, he decided to confront his fear... he would tell Haliya of his true identity.

He bent down to extract a couple of big fishes that were trapped in his basket. He skillfully removed their scales, cut them in half to debone them, added minced tomatoes and onions and wrapped them in banana leaves before he skewered them over a campfire.

Not far from where he worked, a table with roast wild boar in honey sauce and pineapple slices was prepared waiting for the arrival of his beloved goddess.

He also had coconuts with the top portion chopped off to serve as refreshments as they ate and talked about their respective days.

"You're early." Haliya said as she slowly decended.

"And you're late." Kuna pretended to frown.

"I had to make sure Adlaw was up and ready to take my place before I could leave the sky. Don't be mad my little moon bug." Haliya chuckled.

"I'm not mad, just excited to see you. That's all. Come, sit. Try this, I fried some peanuts in oil and garlic, and sprinkled some rock salt on it. This should tide you over while the fish cooks." Kuna handed Haliya a platter of shiny roasted peanuts, kissing her cheek as she sat on a wooden bench.

"How did you sleep? Was the wind too strong last night?" Haliya asked, starting to munch on the peanuts.

"Not really. The breeze was okay, I guess. I just preferred to stay up, gazing at you. I'd rather sleep beside you, if you don't mind. I sleep better with my head on your lap, like the first few days after you rescued me." Kuna explained, skillfully carving the roast boar, and plating it.

"Is everything alright? You seem happy and excited, but there's a certain feeling of anxiousness in your movements." Haliya asked, sensitive to Kuna's emotions as always.

Kuna's hand froze as he was slicing, his gaze focused on the knife he was holding. This was the same knife Mayari threw at him when he devoured one of her siblings.

Haliya gave the knife to him so he could defend himself against threats found on this island after she rescued him from Asuang and his minions. She had no idea that the person she was protecting was the same person who took the lives of her brothers.

"I have something very important to tell you my goddess." Kuna's voice started to tremble.

"What is it? Are you hurt? Are you ill?" Haliya stood placing her hand on Kuna's forehead.

"No! No. Of course not. I am fine. I'd like to start by telling you that I am in love with you. That I would gladly lay down my life for you in hopes that it may prove how sincere I am with my feelings for you." Kuna said, holding Haliya's hands.

"I know, and I feel the same for you." Haliya smiled at Kuna.

"But there is more. I want to apologize to you. I want to beg for your forgiveness, my goddess. I have not been honest with you."

"What do you mean, Kuna?"

"I tried so hard to hide my true identity from you. I prayed that I could leave my past behind, and forge a happy future with you. But my conscience has been bothering me since the day you rescued me, and showed me nothing but kindness. I want to tell you... no, I need to tell you my love that I am..."