Prologue: The beginning (Holly)

Paralyzed: A New Breed of Mutant Superheroes

Prologue 

I didn’t have the best start in life, I was born 2 months prematurely and I had to be hooked up to a ventilator for the first 6 months of my life. To top it off, I was breeched and as the Doctors pulled my slimy little legs to get me out, I got stuck and was starved of oxygen. That didn’t damage my brain to a terminal extent but growing up it made me a sickly kid.

When I was four, a fatal accident nearly wiped out the whole of my family. We were in going for a drive in the car, my parents, two sisters and I. when my Dad lost control of the steering wheel and the car venture left and off of the road and collided with a tree. My Mom, Dad and my eight-year-old sister Willow were killed.

Dad’s airbag had failed to work and the impact had caused him to smash his head through the windshield. The force of his body suddenly being thrown up against the windshield had caused him to break six of his ribs against the steering wheel. But that didn’t kill him, one of his broken ribs had pierced his heart and he bled internally. My Mom’s airbag on the other hand, was working perfectly, so perfectly in fact, that too much air had gone into it and my Mother was suffocated.

My sister Willow was sat at the left side window seat in the back of our five-seated, silver ford fiesta. Hazel, my other sister, was sat on the right side and I was strapped in my booster seat in the middle. The booster seat was one of those kinds that don’t have a headrest or sides; you just sat on it and plugged in the seatbelt.

Anyway,  the car surged left, Willows head slammed into the window and the broken glass make deep lacerations to her left temple and at the base of her throat. Willow bled to death.

My other sister Hazel, who was eighteen at the time, told me that she had to kick her way out of the car through right hand window. She also told me that when she got out of the car and looked in, she thought we were all dead, yet, she still called an ambulance. Hazel said that when the paramedics cut me out of my car seat, that my head lolled like a ragdoll, so she assumed I was dead.

I wasn’t dead but my neck was broken and from the neck down I was left Paralyzed.