Midnight Snack

I walked the streets late that that night. It was almost midnight, so there weren't many people out at this hour.  

Walking next to a pizza parlor, I strained my ears, searching for some sort of disturbance. When I found none, I sighed.  

It had been nearly two weeks since my last feeding. If I didn't find something soon, I would have to either steal from the closest hospital, or take the life of an innocent. And I really didn't want to do that.  

Really, I didn't want to take a life at all, but sometimes I just didn't have a choice.  

My curly blonde hair was swept back by the breeze, and I shivered slightly. My short black shorts and blood red tank top, that was a little short, did little to protect me from the harsh autumn night. Vampires weren't usually affected by the weather, but since it had been so long since I had fed, my senses were dulled. If I didn't feed tonight, there would be trouble, which I really didn't want.  

As if luck was with me, I heard a strangled scream.  

I froze in my half step, and instantly turned toward the cry. Glancing around, I saw no one, so I ran at full speed to the sounds of struggle.  

In a heartbeat, I was in an alley, standing behind an older man, who was looking at a young girl around 16-my age. Niether of the two noticed me, so I watched to see what was going on.  

"I told you to shut up!" The man yelled. His voice was harsh, and scratchy.  

"P-please," the girl begged. Her voice quivered, and her brown eyes shown with fear.  

The man took a menacing step towards her, and she backed up against the wall. I studied the girl, who had a tear running down her cheek. Her light brown hair was in a messy ponytail, and she was wearing sweats.  

Deciding that I had seen enough, I tsked at the man. Both of them jumped, and turned to face me.  

I cocked my head to side, sizing up the man. He looked to be in his mid-twenties, and had dark hair, with a five o'clock shadow.  

"Now, really?" I asked, my British accent thick. "That is not how you treat a lady." 

"And who are you to tell me what to do?" the man said, stepping towards me, and away from the girl.  

A small gust of wind went by, and I saw a flash from inside his coat. A knife.  

I smirked and in a blink of an eye, I slammed the guy into the building to my left. The girl screamed, and I winced, turning towards her.  

"Shh, it's okay," I told her, looking into her eyes, compulsing her. "Go home. Tell no one about this. This memory will be nothing but a nightmare to you, one that you will never have again, or even think about again. I promise, you're okay." 

The girl nodded, and calmly walked away, leaving me alone with the man.  

Turning to him swiftly, I showed my true being, fangs and all. 

He gasped, looking at me. "What are you?" He asked. "And what happened to your face?!" 

I sighed, rolling my eyes. "That's the same question I get everytime. 'What are you?' 'What's wrong with your face?' 'What did I ever do to deserve this?'" I laughed humorlessly, throwing my head back. "But I guess all humans are like that. Too curious for their own good." 

The guy gulped, and his face paled dramatically.  

"But I guess I owe you at least one explanation before you die...," I drawled, twisting my hair around my finger. "Hun, I'm a vampire."