Chapter 17

This chapter is dedicated to holliehannah because she reccomended this book to her followers and when I found out I nearly fainted. I'm so glad to know that she - and all you other readers - enjoy this. :)

------------------------------------------------------------

Fletcher was waiting outside my door when I left to go to the pool the next morning, he had – as per usual – a large smile on his face and he slipped his hand into mine without a word. I didn’t say anything in reply, my cheeks just flushed a light red and I gripped his hand tightly, there was no way I was letting go easily.

“Good morning,” Fletcher said when we were part way down the corridor.

“Morning,” I replied, “I see you got back alright last night.”

Fletcher had left just after midnight the night before, the sky was pitch black and it was only when I couldn’t stop yawning continuously for five minutes that Fletcher decided it might be a good idea to head back to his own room and leave me to get to sleep in peace. Not that I wanted him to leave, but all the excitement of the evening had worn me out and so I was more than ready to say hello to my bed.

“I got back fine, although I did nearly get attacked by a ninja turtle,” Fletcher teased.

Well then, next time I wouldn’t be so concerned about his wellbeing, I was only trying to be nice.

“Was it Raphael, Donatello, Michelangelo or Leonardo?” I replied with a small giggle.

Fletcher looked at me with a blank expression and I began to doubt my choice in friends, he couldn’t actually be clueless about my reference could he?

“What?” he asked me.

I shook my head and sighed deeply at him, making sure that my disappointment was clear not only in my tone but also in my actions.

“You know, like the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles? Those are their names.”

“Oh.”

“I despair, I honestly do. Surely they were an integral part of your childhood that you just can’t quite manage to forget,” I pointed out.

“Not really,” Fletcher replied, “I was more of a Scooby-doo kind of child.”

“You missed out then.”

“On ninja turtles?”

“Yeah.”

“Well then I didn’t miss out on much,” he replied.

I resisted the urge to hit him and instead decided to tug on his hand and urge him to walk quicker, at the pace we were going we would be lucky if we reached the pool by the time I was due to leave.

Speaking of which, it was only three days away and thinking of it scared me. Even last night, Fletcher and I had avoided talking about what we were going to do after our holidays were over. It was as if one subject that I wasn’t allowed to speak about had been replaced by another and I definitely did not like it.

“You walk like you have all the time in the world,” I mock scolded Fletcher.

“You walk like you’re running away from a giant ninja turtle,” he teased in reply.

I bumped into him with my hip and shot him an unimpressed look which was returned by a smile that was supposed to look innocent. I tried to continue to scowl but a smile of my own crept onto my face causing Fletcher to poke me in the cheek, my smile disappeared and my scowl deepened.

“Stop scowling,” Fletcher told me, “you should be in a good mood. Today is a sunny day!”

I didn’t tell Fletcher that he sounded like a four year old child – although he did – and instead carried on walking and paused before replying.