Facetime

Keefe: Hey! 

You're leaving me hanging Foster 

Sophie pushed her phone back into her satchel. Keefe could wait a few more hours. 

"Who was that?" Fitz motioned to where Sophie's satchel. 

"No one of consequence." Sophie replied, giving him a sweet smile. This was her third date with Fitz after the incident during the sleepover. So far, things were going well, since the awkwardness had been pretty much covered after the first date. 

Sophie smiled at Fitz. He was much easier to be with now. It seemed like all of the tension that had been present the last time they'd dated had simply vanished. 

"What do you want to do now?" Fitz asked. He'd picked Sophie up after school for an impromptu date, which, sweet as it was, had complicated Sophie's day quite a bit. 

"I should probably head to work now," Sophie answered apologetically. "I told Mr. Mills I'd be over after school." 

"Right. Let's go." Fitz and Sophie left the cliche park bench they'd been occupying and headed for the car. 

                                                                                            * * * 

 Sophie donned the frothy pink apron that was signature to the shop.

She wiped down the counters. 

She re-cleaned all of the ice cream scoops. 

She swept the floors. 

"Why isn't there anyone in the shop today?" She mumbled. A buzzing from the back room caught Sophie's attention. A quick glance in the back revealed that it was just her phone. 

"Sophie?" Mr. Mills called from the front. Sophie hurried out. 

"Sorry! I just heard a sound in the back." Sophie explained, and gestured to the phone. "I'll put it back." 

"Is that one of those high tech gadgets you young folks carry?" 

"Uh, yeah?" 

"Could you show me how to use one? My nephew told me I should get one." 

"Sure." Sophie walked over. Just as she was showing Mr. Mills how to text, a call came through. Keefe's name read across the screen, along with a picture of him with Mallowmelt in his hair. 

"I remember that boy. He's very nice." 

"Yeah, I'll just call him later-" 

"No, go ahead and answer it." Mr. Mills made a shooing motion. Sophie shrugged. 

"Hello?" 

"Foster! It's been too long!" Keefe hung up. Sophie squinted at the screen, obviously confused. A moment later, however, Keefe called her on Facetime. Sophie accepted, and his face filled her tiny screen. 

"There. Now I can see your cute confused little face." 

Keefe's appearance was shocking, mostly because Sophie hadn't Facetimed him or seen any picture of him at all since he'd left. He seemed the same, mostly. Sophie could see the shadow of stubble ghosting across his jawline, and his hair was a little deflated. His eyes, however, were the same teasing, impossible blue. But something seemed a little off. 

"Hey." Sophie realized what it was. "Why is it so dark?" 

"Oh, it's midnight right now, and my roomies are serious about their bedtime." Keefe smirked. "Is that an apron I see?" 

"Yeah. I'm working at the ice cream shop right now." Sophie pointed the camera to Mr. Mills, who waved. 

"Hello sonny. How's London?" 

"He knows I'm in London? Wow, I had no idea you talked so much about me Foster." Keefe winked.

"I don't." Sophie objected. 

"Now, now." Mr. Mills called. "You shouldn't think anything less of her. Your girlfriend is very sweet." 

Sophie blushed. "I'm going to talk to Keefe outside now Mr. Mills. I'll be back in a minute." 

"Take you time." Mr. Mills replied, clearly not understanding why she wanted to talk outside. 

Sophie pushed open the door and found a shady bench. "All right." 

"Girlfriend huh?" Keefe teased, lips quirking. The emotion didn't reach his eyes though. 

"Haha. Mr. Mills is just a hoot. So tell me about London. How are your classes?" 

"Same old same old. Except for the weird accents, I wouldn't be able to tell if I was in another country. My life is boring though. What have you been up to?" 

"Nothing much. Today Fitz took me on a date though, and I had to tell Mr. Mills I'd be a little late for my shift." 

"WHAT?" Keefe's voice blared. 

Oh yeah. She may have forgotten to mention that detail. 

"Fitz and I are just trying things out again. Nothing serious." 

"Oh." Keefe nodded, his head momentarily moving out of frame. "I have to go now." His voice explained. Sophie's eyes tried to track where he was looking, but it was no use. 

"Bye Foster." 

"Okay. Bye Keefe." 

Keefe hung up. 

That was strange. 

Sophie shrugged to herself. He's probably exhausted.

Yeah. That was it. 

Because he couldn't be hurt...could he?

Enjoy your week :)

Question of the week: Have you ever been in an awkward love triangle? 

Me: no