Wip

She was nervous to say the least, but she kinda always felt like that. At least when Chloe was taking the lead. That was usual too, but that combined with a persistent attitude and smirk? Max was torn.

She should've said no, but she didn't.

So as she took another sip of her water, she found herself scanning the room, awaiting the punks return from the bathroom. She knew there was a line, they had seen it earlier when they walked in, but still. It felt like she'd been alone for hours even if it had been about ten minutes.

Her black dress clung to her hips in such a way that made her uncomfortable without Chloe's hand there, squeezing softly. Reassuring them both that they were glued to the hip. Now she felt exsposed and totally out of her depth.

I am. I really am without her. Parties are her thing, not mine.

She had only been to a few in her short life, but at twenty three, she still felt out of place. She hadn't grown to like them. She blinked, setting her cup on the counter and started to make her way over to the hallway that led to the bathroom, brushing off many people in the process. Muttering one last apology, she came out on the other side of the hall, seeing Chloe coming out of the bathroom. She looked mildly pissed, a cigarette between her teeth. Max halted, catching herself staring as her long legs ate up the floor. Max waved her over.

The look melted off her face to something way more relaxed and cocky, her pace having a purpose. A brunette in a little black dress. She walked over, blowing a cloud of smoke, the fog billowing around her. What a picture that would make..

"Ah Max! I'm sorry, there are so many fucking people here." She said, stomping out her cig. Max could've laughed at the action it was so abrupt, but she didn't."I was waiting but like, a girl can only wait so long so I cut in line and this bitch started screaming at me..like girl. Chill."

"It's fine! I see. I just wanted to check on you." Max said, smiling, shouting a bit over the music. The steady weird rock and sleezy theme of this place suited Chloe, and maybe even Max, but she didn't know."Come on." She grabbed her hand and started to pull her back to where they had been originally. Chloe followed, falling in step. She felt her lean towards her.

"You ok here? Or do you want to leave? Just checking." She whispered. Max bit her lip in thought. It wasn't like she didn't like it, it just didn't feel like a place she could relax and be authentic. Chloe stopped walking.

"It's super crowded." She started."-and it's been cool but I kinda want to go somewhere more, uh,-"

" Isolated? No eyes? Max, do you even know how beautiful you look tonight?" Chloe started."I don't want people to stare, of course, but you look like you're about to take the stage and knock everyone out. That's hot."

Pause.

"So if it's a self esteem thing, I mean. Don't worry about that..but if you aren't feeling it we can find someplace else to crash." A wiggle of eyebrows. Max elbowed her, giggling.

"Oh shutup. Like where?"

"I don't know. A hotel? Home? Trivago?"

The punk dissolved into muted laughter as Max rolled her eyes.

"You'd think with age you would get smarter but no. Your dad jokes will age as a fine wine."

"As will you, my dear."

She could feel her face burst into flames."Either way, Dance with me before we go?" The sweetest of smiles, a small question."Please? I'll only have you suffer a good ten minutes."

Max sighed."You know I can't say no if you say please." Chloe laughed, taking her hand again and leading her to a good place, one with room enough for them to move around. Other couples surrounded them, most losing their shit to the metal song blaring over the speakers. Chloe looked at her as she looked around, then back to Chloe. The punk closed one eye, stuck out her tounge, flashed her devil horns with long fingers, one with their engagement ring. It caught the light, the silver glinting. Max smiled, making the same face, minus the devil horns, but it still got Chloe to laugh.