the end

This chapter is the finale, so it's a little bit longer. Grab your popcorn and get comfy :')

A few months later

Jey's POV:

"Bye, Mom. Bye Dad." Benji almost shoves his parents out the door.

They're leaving to spend Christmas in Switzerland. Benji's family loves to travel, so they were a little surprised to hear that he wanted to stay home this year.

I wasn't.

Benji heaves the door shut, but not before his mom can steal one more kiss on his cheek. His hand twists around the knob and he quickly locks it, wearing a mischievous grin on his face.

"Finally alone..." He laughs, grabbing my waist. His grasp is soft but firm. We begin the close the space between us, and his is mouth just mere inches from mine-

Beep! The kitchen timer goes off, ruining the moment.

"Ignore it." Benji grumbles, obviously wanting to resume our almost-kiss.

"The cookies are gonna burn, Banjo." I tickle his chest playfully.

He throws his arms up in defeat, releasing me to go check on our cookies. Frankly, they were really just Benji's cookies. He was adamant that he knew perfectly well how to make a simple batch of cookies.

But when I pull the gingerbread men from the oven, they look more like gingerbread war survivors. They're quite deformed.

"Banjo, what did you do?" I tease.

"They look fine to me." He shrugs, peeling one from the hot pan and dropping it in his mouth.

"Babe, you can't-"

Too late. His eyes widen as he lets his jaw hang open.

"Haugth!" He cries out.

I think he meant hot.

I try to stifle a laugh as I rush to bring him a trash can. He lets the contents of his mouth spill out.

"That's disgusting." I crinkle my nose with distaste.

"You know you love me." Benji lifts my chin so that I meet his eyes.

"I really do." I grin like an idiot, my cheeks warm. "Everybody's going to be here soon, we need to get this tree decorated."

Benji sighs.

I take his hand and drag him over to the tree. We'd carried the boxes of ornaments upstairs early this morning, which was no easy feat.

"You start with the bottom and I'll get the top." Benji instructs.

I nod my head along to the holiday playlist droning on in the background . In my opinion, Christmas music is cheesy, but I've been telling Benji to turn it off for the past month. It's the night before Christmas- so I'll let him have this.

As I work up the tree, neatly placing the ornaments at strategic points, Benji works down, placing random colored decorations wherever he pleases. We eventually meet in the middle of the tree. Our two sections clash a little, but to me it's just right.

"It looks good." Benji nods.

I reach down to pick up the star. "It's missing one thing." I offer the tree topper to Benji.

Instead of accepting it, he grabs me off of the ground and puts me up on his shoulders.

"Benji!" I squeal, grabbing onto his shoulders.