CHAPTER 14

JUDITH's POV;

Hannah and I assemble at the cafeteria this noon with no sign of Luke around. 

"Is Luke cooperating with you?" Hannah inquires softly breaking the silence. 

"Yes."

She looked like she needed more answers so I continued, "He doesn't seem like the way people buzz about him....."

"Really?" She asked as if she couldn't believe my words.

"Hmm... he is a good listener but sometimes he asks those silly questions which get into my nerves."

She just nodded as she munched her bread.

After a long pause, she adds, "He kind of reminds me of Brian."

Brian, this name echoes into my ears, how can I forget about him!

After school, I walked back home slowly as always my mind swilling with thoughts what Hannah told. Then I wonder what happened to Luke? He probably would have slept late or busy in practice or didn't wanted to show his face after yesterday's incident. 

The sun shines brighter but the wind turns colder making me hug myself as I lazily walk down the lane. In a distance I could see a guy with a dark red hoodie, I focused on the words printed on the dark fabric and ran towards him instantly recognizing it. I jogged towards his side and reached for his shoulders, "Luke! Why didn't you......"I couldn't complete it when I noticed his swollen face. His left cheek had a scraped surface, his lips bulged red and his right eye turned purple. 

I panicked at this horrifying person who looked completely different than the Luke I know. He held a small bag and my eyes traveled around to find a chemist shop. He shrugged my hand from his shoulders and walked off. I grabbed his arm and he instantly hissed with pain making me withdraw immediately.

I quickened my pace and blocked him from moving away, "Can I at least help you with your wounds?" He stared at me for a few seconds and moved to the bench resting on the sidewalk. He sat still never complaining about the pain, his eyes lost their hue, and his mind replaying the abuse. 

"Are you hungry?" I asked just to distract him. He never moved. "Luke?" I gently called out.

He blinked bringing life into his eyes. "Do you have any other wounds?" The words came out so bad. He looked at me lifelessly and unzipped his hoodie taking it completely off from his body. His right arm had a dark open wound staining his light-colored shirt. I exhaled strongly picking a larger cotton dipping extra antiseptics and before I could touch it I hesitated. I glanced at him, he sat like a rock motionless and dumb. He flinched by my sudden touch, blood oozing out it staining my fingers too. My gaze landed on his knuckles to find it clean, clearly indicating that he didn't fight back. 

"When did this happen? Who did this to you? Is it Liam and his friends?"I finally asked unable to resist the temptation.

"Do you want me to inform the cops? Did your parents notice you? Do you want me to inform them or the school......"

"Shut up!" He yelled right on my face. "Can you just shut up!"

My heart pounded in my ribcage my breathing abnormally accelerated. 

"I just wanted to help." I disobey.

"I don't need anyone's help!..... Just get out of here!" He exploded into flames.

I looked at my lap hiding my flooded eyes, "I'm sorry." My voice is barely audible against his roaring words. I leave without another word not willing to add any more fuel to the fire. 

                                                              xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

"Continue to Love, even if it hurts."

                                                                  AUTHOR's NOTE;

What stopped Luke from fighting back?

Let me know in the orange box below.

{JF Abraham}