25 | Confessions

2 5
Confessions

Jalen's grip tightens on my hand with every step we take closer to the school.

"You're gonna break my fingers," I say playfully, though part of me worries his tight grip will. "Just say you don't want to end our time together now."

Jalen chuckles, releasing my hand and wrapping his arm around my waist, pulling me closer. His warmth instantly hits me, making me forget how cold it is outside. This December weather has nothing on us.

"I wish I could," he responds, "but I have plans."

"Oh," I comment, raising a brow. "And what do these plans entail?"

He stops walking, flashing me a stupid grin. "My little detective," he murmurs, bringing his free hand up to cup my chin. "Do you ever rest?"

I roll my eyes, trying to fight off a smile. Being referred to as his, even if he's mocking me, sends butterflies through me. Sure, we just made things official, but I'm beginning to think I'll never get used to it. I'll never get used to being his.

"Do you ever cooperate?" I ask in the same tone. "Will it kill you to just answer a question, properly?"

Jalen makes a pained face. "Yeah," he says with a groan. "I think it'll kill me."

I turn my head, making his hand drop from my chin. "You're so fucking annoying."

"Mhm," he hums in agreement, bringing his other hand to my waist, making me turn his way. "Whatever you say, Lyndon."

He leans down to kiss me, stupid smile still covering his face, and despite my best judegement, I raise my head to meet him halfway. My arms wrap around his neck, and I push my body further into his, practically melting into him, smiling the entire time.

The kiss doesn't last very long because of the fact that neither of us stopped smiling, and honestly, I don't care. I'm too happy right now.

"So," I say lowly, arms still locked around his neck. "These plans...?"

A laugh escapes Jalen. He pecks me on the lips one more time before saying, "I'm meeting with the guys at... um, actually, now. I'm supposed to be meeting with them now."

His blue eyes stay trained to his watch, brows furrowing as he concentrates, as if he's trying to make sure he's seeing the right time. I peek at it too, noticing it's already four in the afternoon.

"What time were you supposed to meet?"

"Four o'clock, at Ben's BBQ," he answers distractedly, now reaching for his phone.

"You're late," I state.

"No shit," he answers dryly. He examines his phone one more time, before rolling his eyes. "I don't even wanna go anymore."

I can't stop my nosey eyes from peeking at his phone, noticing there's a group chat open. The words are big and bold, and I'm sure that's so it's easier for Jalen to read. Ignoring the ache in my heart at that, I focus on the names, and feel stupidly shocked to see Elijah's and Daniel's alongside David's.

I knew they were referred to as The Boys, meaning they were some tight knit group that hung out together, and basically ruled the school. But I'd never really seen them all at once, sitting and talking to one another. It's always been Jalen and David, Malia occasionally joining in, and then Daniel and Elijah on another side.

This just goes to show that appearances mean nothing. Just because I don't see them together, doesn't mean they don't actually hang out.

And just because Daniel and Elijah seem like completely different people than Jalen and David, doesn't mean they don't get along. Or that they really are all that different.