Prologue

Pebbles scattered in every direction as Connie scrambled for purchase along the edge of the cliff. She and her brother, Phineas, were hunting for fabled gold along the edges of the Lost Cove. Phineas, however, had taken a tumble down the side of one of the cliffs, and it was now up to her to rescue him.

"Quit it!" Phineas cried, moaning with pain as he sat huddled against the stone wall.

"I'm not doing anything!" Connie shot back, crying out with fear as her left foot slipped and she slid down an inch or two along the wall.

"You're chucking rocks here, Connie!"

She curled her small hands around an exposed root, holding onto it as if her life depended on it. "I'm sorry. What else do you expect? We're on a cliff for Pete's sake!"

Connie moved to the left, intent on pulling herself along the cliff's edge. The root she was holding snapped off, and she found herself falling through the air to the waters below. Her screams grew louder the faster she fell, drowned out several seconds later as she landed in the water.

The surge wrapped itself around her, dragging her body deeper into the water as she tried to kick her way upwards. For a moment, her head broke through to the water's surface before she was pulled back down. Connie flailed through the water, trying her best to free herself, but the water refused to let go. Deeper and deeper, it sucked her in, until nothing but darkness surrounded her.