The Past - 3

True obsession develops over time.

Y/n used to have normal friends, he promised. He sipped on his latte that was topped with a cute cat drawn in foam as he pondered this. Akihiko, blank in the face as usual, sat across from him, hands curled around a black coffee. Like how psychotic can you be. Not that Y/n had any reservations about black coffee itself, but combined with the utter homicidal idiot drinking it: well, it was the perfect picture of insanity.

Y/n shoved a fist to his cheek and slid his gaze away from his friend and to the café's windows.

None of my friends managed to pass the entrance exam for my high school. And those who could've moved out of the area. Y/n, entering his first year, was friendless and somewhat hard to approach. Needless to say, he felt like an oddball.

Akihiko though, Akihiko was different. He was the star of the basketball team in first year and was aloof in his politeness to everyone. Y/n would remember catching sight of him in the hallways and simply sighing. He knew if he even had a fraction of the "charm" Akihiko had, he wouldn't have had such a problem making friends. Akihiko chose to be relatively alone, Y/n didn't.

Despite that, Akihiko was fairly popular and the teachers fawned over him incessantly. Other than being shown up in gym whenever their classes were paired together and cursing his polite, friendly personality when Y/n caught sight of him in the halls, Y/n didn't really care for Akihiko much. Likewise, Y/n doubted he was even on the basketball player's radar.

It remained that way, merely two ships passing in the night, until classes resumed after winter break and Y/n saw him stuffing a body in the dumpster behind Building B. At first, entirely uncomprehending of the situation, Y/n thought it was some joke or some kind of act. Like it wasn't really a body and Akihiko of all people wasn't actually the one stuffing it into the dumpster.

But Akihiko was covered in blood, uniform soaked through. A pair of metal scissors had been discarded on the ground beside him, drenched in crimson. Nearby, against the wall, a large spatter of scarlet dyed the off-white painted surface a dark maroon, and there was a clear, splattering trail of multiple attacks.

"Disgusting," he heard Akihiko mutter as he struggled with shoving an entire body into the dumpster. "The trash is where you belong."

Y/n was entirely numb, ears ringing.

"Someone so disgusting should not be touching her. Not my Miho..."

Y/n was backtracking, his legs had turned to jelly and he was stumbling as he realized he needed to leave. Right now. Unfortunately, his trembling, uncooperative limbs gave him away as his shoe scraped rather loudly against the concrete.

Dark, black eyes snapped to his and Y/n's knees went weak at the deadened look in them. As his bum hit the pavement behind Building B painfully, Y/n watched helplessly as Akihiko began swiftly striding towards him.

He wasted no time in approaching Y/n, retrieving something from his pants pocket. A small handle, and with the press of a thumb, Akihiko was walking toward Y/n with a switchblade unsheathed. The sunlight caught the blade's metal in a blindingly terrifying moment before Y/n was scrambling back up against the legs of a water tank. He had forgotten there was one behind Building B. Somehow trapped against it, Y/n drew his knees up to his chest and lifted his hands in front of himself.

"Wait, wait, wait." Y/n no longer remembered how many times he told knife-wielding Akihiko to just wait.

Akihiko stabbed the lip of the water tank and the cement between Y/n's legs — when Y/n dodged backwards — before Y/n finally got him to settle for a minute. Akihiko paused, chest heaving, and eyes scouring Y/n's pitiful form from top to bottom.

"Wait, please wait," Y/n's hands were still up in the universal sign of surrender and his knees tucked tightly against his chest. I must've looked really pitiful back then, all compacted under the water tank like I was.

Akihiko's dark eyes bore down into Y/n's, "...Why should I?"

Y/n shook his head rapidly from side to side panicking and trying to not get killed by his own psychotic classmate. "I don't care, I don't care, I don't care. I just don't want to die. I don't care — about him. I don't — I don't care about what you do. Just — "

Silence reigned after Y/n's rabid testimonial. Akihiko's dark eyes searched (e/c) ones, a slow smile tugging the end of his lips up. He leaned down and shot a hand out, wrapping nimble but deadly and calloused fingers around Y/n's trembling chin and jerking his whole head forward before Y/n could even blink. Akihiko leaned down further, pressing the end of the blade beneath Y/n's chin.

He was grinning — enjoying this — as he asked Y/n, "And how can I believe you?"

Y/n paused for beat, "...Because it is in the nature of every living thing to want to live?"

The basketball player snorted, "Right," and then swiftly jabbed his knife-wielding hand forward.

Y/n barely caught the blade in time. His hand wrapped around it, stopping it just as the tip pricked his neck. Immediately thick floods of blood flowed out onto the blade as his hand squeezed around the persistent thrust.

"Wait, wait," Y/n fumbled. "Just let me live. I didn't do anything."

Flat black eyes peering into his own did not give Y/n any semblance of hope.

"It's about what you saw," Akihiko's rough voice fell over Y/n's ringing ears.

"No, no, no — don't you get it? I didn't see anything," Y/n somehow managed a twitchy wink.

The blade suddenly stopped driving forward. Akihiko, curious expression adorning his face, went completely still. He slowly stood and backstepped, eyes firmly on the anomaly in front of him.

He cocked his head to the side, "Help me get rid of him or I'll kill you."

Y/n, still taking small sips of his latte, sighed at the memory. What a mess, he inwardly concluded.

After that, Y/n helped dispose of a body and had his wounds treated by the school nurse (after changing into his gym clothes and showering off the blood in the locker room of course). He explained it as a mishap with a pair of scissors. Turned out, he needed stitches and a visit to the clinic to stop the bleeding from his hand. Y/n still had the scar. A few deep white lines on the palm of his hand, some of his fingers, and the muscle of his thumb. I mean, I had grabbed a damn knife after all; what did I expect?

Succeeding their first real encounter, Y/n would vehemently avoid the other boy (without being obvious), but Akihiko seemed intent on keeping tabs on his little witness. He had never let anyone live, after all. Not after they were exposed to this side of him.

As horrible as it was, Y/n quickly figured out he couldn't avoid Akihiko, stalker extraordinaire, and relented. Y/n instead decided to be positive about things and actively befriend Akihiko. Over the course of months, Y/n learned Akihiko was obsessed over Y/n's classmate, Miho. Akihiko would only be driven to homicide if it involved her (at any capacity really) and Akihiko's general demeanor was unpleasant and miffed (unless he was around Miho or others: then, he was a gentleman).

Y/n, all in all, was making the best out of terrible situation. He finished his latte and stood up.

"Come on, Aki-kun~" Y/n sang, not letting the dark thoughts rule his mind. "I'll walk you home."

Akihiko glared furiously up at Y/n who simply grinned cheekily back.

"One of these days," he mumbled darkly.

"Sure, bestie, but not today, right?"

Those dark eyes glimmered for the first time as he said, "No, not today."