chapter 5 ✦ heroes and villains

I sat in the chair that was near my desk, a pen in my hand as I wrote down my nightly duties for the girls. Footsteps sounded nearby and my head snapped to the direction of the noise. I pushed the chair back from my desk and walked to the opening of my tent. The girls were in a line and stared straight at me. I gave them a disappointed glare.

"Well?" I hinted. The girls looked at each other until the shortest one was pushed up in front of me. I casted over her and she seemed to shrink from fear. I mentally laughed at this.

"Their footsteps ended at the border of Pan's camp." She squeaked in her little voice. I rolled my eyes and reached inside my tent, grabbing my scabbard and hooking it around my waist. I also grabbed my sword and secured it in the scabbard.

"Follow me." My mood darkened and they all nodded, quickly as I rushed past them. I ventured into the jungle, pushing branches and leaves behind me. Suddenly, a yell grabbed my attention and I went further with the girls on my tail. I peered through the tree line that overlooked the beach. 5 people stood there; 2 men and 3 women. I held up a hand which signaled the girls to stay back.

"Save your magic. We'll need it." One of the women spoke with the long blonde hair. Magic?  That's when I finally wanted my presence to be known.

"You guys lost?" I shouted, coming out from the jungle. They all drew their weapons and magic as stared, surprised at me. "You seem lost to me."

"Who are you?" The blonde hissed, pointing her cutlass at me.

"The real question is who are you?" I turned her question around. She glared at me and I rolled my eyes. "Riley."

"What?" Blondie asked.

"That's my name, idiot." I sneered. "And I couldn't help overhear your dilemma."

"Why should we tell you?" The black haired lady with the boy cut spoke. My eyebrow rose at her and laughed, loudly.

"Have you ever thought that maybe I'm on your side and not on Pan's?" I brought the subject into the light. They snuck each other worried and determined glances. Blondie sighed and stuck out her hand. I stared down at it until she pulled it away with an awkward look.

"I'm Emma and this is Mary Margaret." She pointed towards the boy cut haired woman. "That's-"

"The Evil Queen." I cut her off, glaring at the woman in the blazer. Her eyes widened at the sight of realization. "To think I'd hope to never see you again."

"Bandit, I could say the same thing about you." Regina snarled at me. I smiled.

"You two know each other?" One of the men who was handling the blade asked.

"We encountered one another." I confessed, hovering my hand over my sword. Emma looked between us before continuing.

"That's David." She pointed to the man who spoke before. "And that's Hook." I nodded.

"If you don't mind me asking but, in what mind possessed you to set foot on this island?" I wandered, sneaking a glanced at my girls who were still in the jungle.

"We're here looking for my-"

"Our son." Regina corrected Emma. I rose an eyebrow at this.

"So you guys are..?" I assumed but Emma's eyes widened in horror. "I can sense a complicated situation."

"Very." Hook scoffed, rolling his eyes. I chuckled a bit.

"His name is Henry." Regina stepped in.

"Ahhh Henry. Nice kid." I exclaimed, crossing my arms across my chest.

"You know him?" Emma gasped, being excited.

"Yeah, he found his way into my camp. I have no idea how he got through the barrier." I explained, turning around and looking up to the sky where I could faintly see the top of my camp's barrier bubble. I faced them again and smiled. "He's a strong boy, Emma."

"So you can help us?" David piped up. I nodded and brought my fingers to my lips, making a whistle come out. The Lost Girls emerged from the jungle and stopped by my side.

"These are my Lost Girls. Trust me, there's more but, I can say that this little group will be enough. I know this whole island by the back of my hand." I promised them, causing the band to smile, widely. "I can assure you that we will find Henry with my guidance. Now, come." I waved my hand at them, turning around and heading into the jungle. I grabbed a girl's arm and whispered, "Take half of the girls to the back of the group just incase." She nodded and passed it on to the others. Half stayed by me.

"How old are you, Riley?" Emma asked in curiosity.

"Quite young." I answered.

"Don't you know?" Mary Margaret joined in. I shrugged, not wanting to reveal my real age just to be safe that they weren't impostors.

"How'd you get here?" Hook questioned and I rolled my eyes, becoming annoyed with all the questions. This Hook guy is giving me some bad vibes.

"Boat, now let's keep moving, shall we?" I quickly snapped, getting ahead go the group.