•F O R T Y - T H R E E•

♪ Every time I'm 'round you, I start feeling really anxiousNothing that could fix it, wish that I could kick this ♪{Ashley Tisdale—Symptoms}

Nothing that could fix it, wish that I could kick this ♪
{Ashley Tisdale—Symptoms}

Drama always found its way to Harriet.

Of all places for it to enfold, it took place in Miss Bertillon's class, two weeks into the final term. And it didn't concern Harriet... but it touched her more than she'd anticipated.

"I cannot do this anymore!"

The unusually squeaky voice prompted all girls to raise their noses from their assigned reading about proper phrases to use to reignite a dying discussion.

"Miss Nicholls?" Miss Bertillon swept over to where Hermione had lifted from her seat, clawing at her scalp, tugging on her tresses. "Are you all right?"

The girl's brunette curls had an ashy tint to them; faded, lackluster, not as put-together as usual. "No, I am not! And I am fed up with pretending!"

Charlotte and Julia, seated on either side of her, peered at one another with rising brows. Cristina and Hillary covered their mouths. Esther gasped.

But Harriet couldn't stop glimpsing the scene; from the girl she abhorred, her honey eyes bloodshot and her skin blotchy. The girl who sniped and sneered and mocked her, now melting down in her favorite class in front of her favorite professor.

"Pretending?" Miss Bertillon didn't slouch or overreact and tried to help Hermione sit back down.

But Hermione wouldn't have it. She shoved the woman aside and stomped to the middle of the room. In the most dramatic fashion, she removed her gloves and threw them on the floor. "Yes, pretending. Pretending like none of you judge me for being a shamed fiancée! For being engaged to a man who cheats before their wedding festivities are set up! I am enraged that I do not have a choice!"

Miss Bertillon scurried over to control the girl, to wrap her arms around her to block her flailing. "Hermione... Hermione, calm down, please." The teacher's cheeks flushed as she squeezed Hermione in her embrace. "You shame yourself now, with this behavior. Stop this."

The Seniors recoiled in their chairs, as if breathing the same air as Hermione would infect them with whatever affected her. Harriet hunched over, but couldn't fight her curiosity. Her gaze wouldn't leave the sight of Hermione battling to break free and Miss Bertillon losing her balance to keep her steady.

No one reached out to help; they only sat in stunned silence, watching it all unfold. Like frightened prissies afraid of a tantrum, unwilling to lift a finger to assist in a time of crisis.

And Hermione... was in an obvious crisis.

This is horrendous.

No matter their mutual hatred, Harriet wouldn't dwindle her thumbs and let Miss Bertillon handle Hermione's melt-down on her own. Ladylike or not—she had to interfere.